Installer apps stopped working

_pixelrican_

Registered
Mail, Safari, most if not all Utils, Installer, + Installer Updates just hang with the "spinning wheel" with no option to click on the buttons to take the installer to the next step. Is there a work around this issue? Is my system salvageable or just wishful thinking. Pleez HELP.

First, Repair Permissions using Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. If DU doesn't work, boot off the OS CD and do it, then run Repair Disk.

That's the first operation I performed but it didn't bring any results. What would be the next logical step after that. Here's everything I've tried.

-Booted from boot CD, repaired disk, repaired permissions. (Didn't resolve issue)
-Performed Java Install trick. (Not successful)
-Used Pacifist (App just hangs with no result and no ability to install any apps)
-Attempted to create a /tmp file after login in as root from Terminal. /tmp file already existed. I wonder if the contents have anything to do with. (Maybe contents are corrupt?)
-What's the next logical step? Any other suggestions?
-Downloaded 10.3.8 Combo... But cannot install because (The Installer apps don't work) including the updaters!

Next step? <

Try downloading and installing the Combo Updater for the system you're using.

Create a new user, or log into another user if you have one setup and see if the problems are also in that account.

I was able to download and install (yepee) 10.3.8 thru a secondary user account I had created some time ago. However, after restart, my main user account still shows no signs of improvement. Mail, Safari and Install programs still not working. What would be the next step? BTW. Thanks, for your time helping me out.

I would move things over and use the new account and delete the other one. Too many things messed up there.

I came across this at one time. It even persisted after a Archive & install. It turn out I over trouble shot the problem. after much soul searching, a friend said just change the Admin password, restart, change your password back, restart. This work like a charm but your milage may vary.

Say. When I deploy System Preferences and click on Account from my Admin account, it just hangs. Spinning wheel with no ability to set permissions. I'm two steps from chucking this thing in a canal. Maybe the alligators can figure it out.

It happened once and someone advised to reset the PRAM by holding down apple, option, p, and r keys at startup. Hold them until the startup chime sounds twice. Unfortunately this isn't working for me now, so any further tips would be appreciated.

Back