Installer unpacker in classic, or help installing ClarisWorks 5.0 on MacOS X

fastfish

Registered
I am trying to install Clarisworks (Appleworks) 5.0 under classic on a powerbook running Tiger. (Long story short -- my Dad has an elderly iMac and does not want to upgrade / change anything, and I want to swap some files with him we can both edit.) However the installer chokes half way through. So, is there an installer unpacker for Classic that would pull the files I wanted from the installer and let me drop them into the appropriate folders by hand. I seem to remember such a thing existing.

Alternatively, can someone give me other hints about how to proceed -- bottom line is that I need to read and write files for 5.0 of this now ancient package.

Have you tried booting into Classic (by holding down "9" while powering on the machine, or by going into System Preferences --> Statup Disk) and installed it while running natively in Mac OS 9?

symphonix said:
Have you tried booting into Classic (by holding down "9" while powering on the machine, or by going into System Preferences --> Statup Disk) and installed it while running natively in Mac OS 9?

This machine is a new one -- no booting into classic. Already thought of that one, sadly.

Fastfish

I bet Classic does not like that older version. You can install AppleWorks 6 (for OS 9) in Classic. It will open the older ClarisWorks and Appleworks documents.

I have a customer that went round and round with this issue. Had some older ClarisWorks docs that he wanted to edit. AW 6 will certainly 'open' the documents, but complex formatting (headers, footnotes, etc.) will not import. The only way around this: Open doc in AW 5, save as an AW 5 doc, and then AW 6 imports completely.
That intermediate step is necessary to edit older docs in AW 6.

You really don't need to 'install' AW 5. If you have another Mac with a working AW 5, you can copy the whole AW 5 folder to a floppy/CD-R/USB flash drive, etc, and just copy that to the new computer.

DeltaMac said:
I have a customer that went round and round with this issue. Had some older ClarisWorks docs that he wanted to edit. AW 6 will certainly 'open' the documents, but complex formatting (headers, footnotes, etc.) will not import. The only way around this: Open doc in AW 5, save as an AW 5 doc, and then AW 6 imports completely.
That intermediate step is necessary to edit older docs in AW 6.

You really don't need to 'install' AW 5. If you have another Mac with a working AW 5, you can copy the whole AW 5 folder to a floppy/CD-R/USB flash drive, etc, and just copy that to the new computer.

Thanks for the post. I really need to have do headers and footer information; and the old AW 5 is on a machine in a different country from where I currently sit. Still stumped on this one.

There's really no way around this. You need an older version of AppleWorks before you can use these older files.

Back