Installing Linux on Boot Camp partition

sweetandy

Registered
I'm using the low-end Intel Mac Mini. After making the five gigabyte partition for Boot Camp, I found out that I have an SP1 version of XP. So it was a no-go.

I formatted the partition to act as a separate Mac OS X volume called "Andrew", which was kind of my "stuff" folder on the desktop. Unfortunately this made things slow and became quickly annoying when it had to literally copy from one volume to another every time I wanted to put a file in this new folder.

So I went back to my old setup of just having the "Andrew" folder on my basic Macintosh HD volume. However...

Now I'm curious if there is a way in Disk Utility to unformat the partition to free disk space so that Linux can see it for installation when I'm starting up on the install CD. At this time, it doesn't seem as if I have the option for unmarking it as a Mac OS X volume.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

--Andrew

... and if you want to pursue the Linux route, I installed Fedora Core 6 on a MacBook Pro. Everything you need is explained on the Dual Booting page at Mactel-Linux.org. I used the "BootCamp + rEfit + LILO" described in th final section to let me use the ATI accelerated drivers. It also shows how to use Parted to edit the partition table the way you want, and you could use someting simple like "mkfs" in rescue mode to create the fiesystems you need. That should do what you want without the need for Disk Utility.

There's a link to a modified Ubunutu distro for Intel macs in that section, although I used a vanilla FC6 install CD without problems.

I even slapped together a rEfit icon for FC6 :)

os_linux.png

I went to the page referenced, http://www.mactel-linux.org/wiki/Dual_Booting
and, speaking as a person with over 30 years of technical writing experience, it was terrible!

It was full of undefined jargon and acronyms that have made it incomprehensible to all but very knowledgeable readers, So much so that, if you could understand it, you didn't need it. As a result, I could not even start to make any of this work. I have been involved in the computer industry since 1968. If this was difficult for me, imagine how it is to a really non-technical person.

If you're still looking to use GNU/Linux on your Intel-based Mac mini, you'll need rEFIt and some unallocated space on your hard drive (in order to put a GNU/Linux distribution on there). You'll also need to download the ISO of any x86-based GNU/Linux distribution that you want to install. If your Mac mini has a Core 2 Duo processor on it, then you could even use one of the ISOs for 64-bit x86 processors.

You might be able to use Boot Camp to resize the drive and make the appropriate space, but you'd need to be running Leopard in order to use Boot Camp.

Understand that most end-users will not be attempting this, so it's understood that those who do attempt this are familiar with the terms that pertain to such installations. Usually on a stock PC, installation is pretty much straight-forward as with any other OS, but on the Intel Macs it seems that there's some extra work involved, especally if you're looking to dual-boot. If all you want to run on your Intel-based Mac is GNU/Linux, then most distributions today should allow for a straight-forward installation since most distributions today support the Intel-based Macs.

Reactions: ora
LMAO! This is exactly what I am talking about. Undefined acronyms and jargon. Your reply makes no more sense than the page I was on before.

I have a new 20" 2.66 GHz iMac. All I really need to do is run a couple of Windows (not Microsoft) programs on it. Specifically, IL2 1946 and perhaps Sony Vegas 6.0d. I have both of these installed on an external hard drive that was my back-up drive on a PC. So all I really need is something like Ubuntu with perhaps WINE to use these.

From other forums, I know that IL2, at least, runs fine under Linux. Perhaps I should just boot Linux from a CD and run the Windows programs that way? Actually, now that I think about it, that would be an ideal solution.

If this is such a major problem, why not just purchase a copy of Windows and use that? You could also follow the advice on the site I linked in my previous post on how to slipstream Service Pack 2 to create your own Windows XP Service Pack 2 installation disc. In all honesty, either of these options would be the least "painful" for you. It will work just fine with Boot Camp.

With all due respect, saying that you've been in the computing industry since 1968 means nothing. Unless you're current with the terminology and with the technology that is out there today (and for the past 10 years for that matter in regards to GNU/Linux), then you're pretty much at the same state as a new computer user would be. I have been in this industry much less than you, but I can easily understand all of the concepts mentioned above. I would never recommend a GNU/Linux + WINE setup on a Mac for a new user, much less someone that is not familiar with such things. Just stick with OS X (there is a port of WINE for the Intel Macs called Darwine) or use Windows with the aid of Boot Camp.

Not too surprisingly, you have missed the entire point. If I wanted to put up with Windows, I would have kept a PC. Furthermore, I never said that any of this was incomprehensible to me, but that it was a very badly written set of instructions.

You seem to be a bit arrogant about how up-to-date you think you are and how out-of-date you think I am. That is also the normal attitude for younger people when dealing with older people.

I have already decided on a better solution that is far easier than the convoluted mess given there.

Not too surprisingly, you have missed the entire point. If I wanted to put up with Windows, I would have kept a PC. Furthermore, I never said that any of this was incomprehensible to me, but that it was a very badly written set of instructions.

You seem to be a bit arrogant about how up-to-date you think you are and how out-of-date you think I am. That is also the normal attitude for younger people when dealing with older people.

I have already decided on a better solution that is far easier than the convoluted mess given there.

First of all, you began with the arrogance with your response to me, by which you've given credence to the idea that "age does NOT equal wisdom", as someone of your "mature" age is making assumptions about someone he doesn't know). Second of all, someone with your years of expertise in the field should have understood clearly what I was talking about, let alone what was discussed on that page. If not, then Google is your friend in helping you understand. Were I truly arrogant, as you say, I would have told you to RTFM and moved on.

That said, I'm glad for you that you found a solution that worked for you, but personally it seems as though you're choosing a convoluted solution. WINE is not the answer to everything. Sometimes, if need to get the job done in Windows, then the best solution is Windows. I'm all for GNU/Linux and free software, but I'm also practical. That is why I suggested for you to use Windows instead, especially since you didn't "understand" my "jargon" or that of the page that was provided in the thread.

BTW, someone of your age should also know that you get more flies with honey than with vinegar. Here's hoping that for your sake, any future problems you might have will be met by other experienced users, especially in the area of GNU/Linux. Good day.

FWIW, I respond to people the way they treat me and you were an arrogant puppy. Again, you did not get the message, so I'll type really slowly and maybe you can understand.

1. I do not want to use Windows. I already have a copy of XP and could do that with Boot Camp. But I want a "Microsoft-free" zone here.

2. I understood your jargon and your undocumented acronyms just fine. What I said was, using things like that makes it impossible for less-experienced people to understand you. Had you worked for me as a tech writer and turned out a piece like that, it would have been your last one for me.

3. I never said "age equals wisdom". That is something your imagination put on my plate. Nor does youth and double-talk equal "cool", either.

4. If I did not already know WINE would work in this case, I would not have said I had found a solution. I carefully researched it and this is just one of the sources I used. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7102

5. As a matter of fact, vinegar does get more flies than honey. This has been tested on the Mythbusters TV show and other places. So much for your cute aphorisms.

Considering your attitude and your means of expressing yourself on technical subjects, what you post as replies is mostly useless anyway, so if you never even read another of my posts, fine with me.

FWIW, I respond to people the way they treat me and you were an arrogant puppy. Again, you did not get the message, so I'll type really slowly and maybe you can understand.

1. I do not want to use Windows. I already have a copy of XP and could do that with Boot Camp. But I want a "Microsoft-free" zone here.

2. I understood your jargon and your undocumented acronyms just fine. What I said was, using things like that makes it impossible for less-experienced people to understand you. Had you worked for me as a tech writer and turned out a piece like that, it would have been your last one for me.

3. I never said "age equals wisdom". That is something your imagination put on my plate. Nor does youth and double-talk equal "cool", either.

4. If I did not already know WINE would work in this case, I would not have said I had found a solution. I carefully researched it and this is just one of the sources I used. http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7102

5. As a matter of fact, vinegar does get more flies than honey. This has been tested on the Mythbusters TV show and other places. So much for your cute aphorisms.

Considering your attitude and your means of expressing yourself on technical subjects, what you post as replies is mostly useless anyway, so if you never even read another of my posts, fine with me.

You're only digging yourself deeper in that hole, and you're proving my point with every response. And BTW, Fryke already gave you an answer for your sim game (and possibly for most every application that you've suggested already).

http://macosx.com/forums/boot-camp-...2-ok-dumb-noob-question-time.html#post1460568

Interesting that he seems to suggest the same thing as I did. Wow, I guess we all must be a bunch of useless posters compared to you.

Pointless...

I am a professional science and technology communicator, if you really have been involved in technical writing for so long, you should know that the guys with the deep level knowledge don't always speak the same language as the wider world. The funny thing is I have been reading Nixgeek's posts for years, and despite my total lack of any IT training I have never found him hard to understand, well nothing googling the odd term didn't fix anyway. :)

This board runs on goodwill, Scott's in keeping the place running, the mods in keeping us spam free and cheerful, and people like nix in spending their free time helping others. If you didn't like Nix's solution you could easily have just not used it rather than being insulting. Being so rude just makes everyone else less likely to answer your questions next time round.

If you really are a "professional science and technology communicator" you should know that the first rule of technical writing is "it must be written so it cannot be misunderstood". The second rule is to "know your audience". Neither of these rules were followed here.

It seems that the idea here is not to improve the board but to kill the messenger whenever anyone says that things could be better. In fact, all of these replies seem to be aimed at saying freedom of speech does not exist here.

I agree that, if I had known these attitudes existed among supposedly intelligent, helpful people, I would have worded it differently.

Seeing that these attitudes do exist, I will refrain from asking for advice here. So you can all go back to telling each other how wonderful you are and pay no attention to the realities of being helpful.

Note how he continues to jab indirectly with veiled insults while saying that he's being misunderstood? We have one guy doing the same thing (and practically saying the same things) on another forum related to where I work. There's one in every bunch, I tell you.

BTW Slrman, your free speech rights are in effect in that your posts were not deleted regardless of how crass they were. In life, everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. And while you can say whatever you like, the way you said it is likely going to keep anyone else from wanting to give you help (especially on a volunteer site like this).

Tha said, don't let the door hit you on the way out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If you really are a "professional science and technology communicator" you should know that the first rule of technical writing is "it must be written so it cannot be misunderstood". The second rule is to "know your audience". Neither of these rules were followed here.
This is a forum. Not a scientific research facility that produces highly-detailed tech papers so that everyone from a gerbil to a Ph.D can understand them. It's casual. It's laid-back. We abbreviate. We link to articles that contain useful information, and sometimes those articles aren't written in the best format possible... they're surely not technical papers. This is the internet, not a scientific laboratory. People have bad grammar, spelling and punctuation. If all we were allowed to do was link to technical papers, this place would be useless.

It seems that the idea here is not to improve the board but to kill the messenger whenever anyone says that things could be better. In fact, all of these replies seem to be aimed at saying freedom of speech does not exist here.
No, it's to help people. We've helped a lot of people, and been helped by many, as well. We have complete freedom of speech within limits. While I can stand on the street corner and insult everyone that walks by or be snide or rude or demand respect because I'm older than them or have more technical experience or education, it's not a good idea to do so. And this place isn't a street corner. If someone's rude to you, being rude right back or calling them out on it or being snide or demanding respect or stating that the response you got was because you were older certainly doesn't help the situation -- it only makes you a rude person, as well.

I agree that, if I had known these attitudes existed among supposedly intelligent, helpful people, I would have worded it differently.
You get all kinds of attitude from all kinds of different people wherever you go. You cannot control the actions nor the disposition of others. How you respond to those people reflects greatly upon yourself. Walking away from a rude person or ignoring them without saying a word puts you in a much different light than staying around and playing their "let's see who can put who down" game.

Seeing that these attitudes do exist, I will refrain from asking for advice here. So you can all go back to telling each other how wonderful you are and pay no attention to the realities of being helpful.
I think jumping to the conclusion that this place is unhelpful because of one experience you had here is a bit extreme. I wish you'd stick around and see how helpful this place can be.

Back on topic, there have been many good suggestions in this thread to help you solve your problems. If they are unsatisfactory, then perhaps one of these conditions exist:

1) You already know what solution you would like to use and will not accept any suggestions nor try anything new that deviates from that, or
2) We have not provided an adequate solution, or
3) An adequate solution that meets all of your criteria does not exist.

I think you've got the idea that it's #2 around here. I think others think it's #1. I, personally, think it's #3, and that you should relax your criteria a tad.

If you wish to run a handful of simple Windows programs on your Mac without having to run full-blown Windows, there exists a solution called "Crossover" (don't know if it's been mentioned already). It's supported by a good community, has frequent updates, and is very compatible with a lot of Windows software on the market. It allows you to run Windows programs by emulating or translating the required Windows libraries on-the-fly, just as if they were native Mac OS X programs.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/

At any rate... I wish to see you back here, as someone with your level of expertise and knowledge could be very helpful. Fair warning: you will encounter buttheads, rude people, stupid people, non-English speaking people, smart people, lazy people and every other imaginable person, just as you would in the real world. I recommend that you brush it off and not take it so personally. I hardly saw any rudeness where others apparently did see rudeness, but then again, I've got thicker skin than most (when you work for a boss like mine, you have to!) and it's like water off a duck's back...

...which, coincidentally, is a metaphor, much like the honey vs. vinegar vs. flies. While vinegar may have been proven to attract more flies that honey, that doesn't mean I'm going to run out into the world, crumbling cookies with one hand, holding birds in the other, staring horses in the kisser all while searching for a stone to watch roll down a hill.

Happy birthday! :p

Just so we can clear this up and put it in the trash - What I was trying to do was to point out that, because you have users of all experience and skill levels, it would be more helpful if one did not assume everyone would not be confused and dismayed by excessive use of acronyms and jargon.

Admittedly, I perhaps came on a bit strong in my criticism, but this is a hot button for one who has spent decades working to explain technical subjects to non-technical people.

Also, I tend to react to people the way they treat me and I felt I was being talked down to and without the respect that should be shown to anyone asking an honest question or offering constructive criticism. If you can't stand that criticism, perhaps you should consider what you may have done to warrant it.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions and yes, I have found a solution. Not directly from what was said here, but some suggestions led me down the correct path of research and I am certainly very grateful for that.

On that positive note, I found that Darwine alone will allow me to run the Windows programs I wanted without resorting to dual-boot or emulators. It even ran some software that were not claimed as supported by the Darwine developers. These are certainly talented, dedicated people and I hope that everyone supports them as they deserve it.

Nothing like chiming in long after the original problem has been solved. Especially when you have obviously missed the entire point of the post and the follow-up posts. Is it any woonder I haven't bothered with this place since then? Mostly arrogant fools here.

Statler: "Hey, Waldorf, what's better than one dramatic, final exit?"

Waldorf: "TWO dramatic, final exits!"

Waldorf & Statler together: "Ho, ho ho ho, ha ha!"

;)

Nothing like chiming in long after the original problem has been solved. Especially when you have obviously missed the entire point of the post and the follow-up posts. Is it any woonder I haven't bothered with this place since then? Mostly arrogant fools here.

Don't let the virtual door hit you in the virtual ass on the way out!

Back