Installing Mac OS X 10.2 6C98.

with a dvd, they could put the entire install plus all the iApps etc. plus the developer tools! it would be great! but they'd have to offer a cd version for the less fortunate...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

But booting from DVD wouldn't be possible, because a DVD has to be in the DVD format, which as far as I can tell, you can't boot from...

Am I right - or can you boot from a DVD?

Actually, as long as the low-level boot driver (i think it's in open firmware) can use the DVD drive as a boot device (unless you upgraded to a superdrive or something yourself) it should be possible to boot from a DVD. (I'm pretty sure it's possible, because the driver is independent of media type; it is the drive mechanism that matters to the driver)

Also, DVDs don't have to be in some kind of "DVD-format." They can be in HFS+ format, FAT32 format, DVD-Video format - basically any popular format like that. Hell, they can even be in UFS format! :) Obviously, they can't be in an Audio CD format or VCD or anything CD-exclusive, but they can technically be in pretty much everything else!

and by the way, Happy Birthday! buy yourself an iPod!
(unless of course you lied on your macosx.com registration page, but you wouldn't do that because it's horribly immoral, right? ;) )

Does it still come up with that awesome intro movie when you boot into OS X off of your HD? :D

Just wanted to let anyone who is considering installing 6C98 that I can no longer burn CD's in iTunes! I don't know why this would happen...but it did (I'm not looking for any sympathy...I took the risk, I'll face to consequences). Aside from that, it is very nice. :rolleyes:
BTW, if anyone knows a workaround to my problem, I wouldn't mind knowing (I'm just trying to put off a clean install...I know I have to at some point).
Nice forums BTW...:)

Originally posted by cacarr1
Just wanted to let anyone who is considering installing 6C98 that I can no longer burn CD's in iTunes! I don't know why this would happen...but it did (I'm not looking for any sympathy...I took the risk, I'll face to consequences). Aside from that, it is very nice. :rolleyes:
BTW, if anyone knows a workaround to my problem, I wouldn't mind knowing (I'm just trying to put off a clean install...I know I have to at some point).
Nice forums BTW...:)

I can't burn CD's PERIOD in 6c98. I was snooping around my old system for the CD drivers so I could maybe fix it, but I couldn't find them. I put a blank CD in the drive and it says my CD burner is not compatable. But then how the hell did it detect I put in a blank CD in the first place?!? Oh well, its still beta.

I have to install OSX frequently on my college's machines. Nothing irks me more than having to waste a lot of time downloading updates, rebooting, then having to download more updates (because to download update 2 you MUST have update 1 installed), rebooting, ad nauseum.

Does jaguar fix my pet peeve by allowing you to download all updates at one time from your current OS, even if you are 2 or 3 levels below the most recent OS version?

Thank god I recently got a 20GB firewire pocket drive and have made a special OSX bootup CD.....

Speaking of installing, what's the impression of netinstall? I will be getting 100 G4s in about 3 weeks and don't want to endure all the updates when setting up 100 machines. It would be much easier to create one image on a netinstall server and force that image on my new G4s.
:confused:

did you received those install cd's? Or did you burned them yourself.

HOW to burn a bootable cd from an diskimage in OSX.

To make a bootable OSX CD, go to http://www.charlessoft.com/ and download his boot cd app (568k).

When you make the boot CD just drag whatever apps you want onto that boot CD (i.e. disk utility, diskcopy, norton, whatever).

The apps you drop will appear in the dock when you boot off of that CD.

Originally posted by henksmets
did you received those install cd's? Or did you burned them yourself.

HOW to burn a bootable cd from an diskimage in OSX.

I usually use Disk Copy. Just open Disk Copy and select Burn Image. Navigate to the image and click burn. When prompted enter a blank disc.

Back