Installing new RAM

Perseus

Registered
Only once before have I had my RAM upgraded, and I had someone else do it. If I buy 512 megs for my G4 can I install it myself? Would it void any warranties etc? If so, how do I do it? It seems like something fairly easy to do.

It is really easy! :D

A PowerMac is one of the best system to upgrade... and it is so easy many PC owners could not believe it before seeing it :D

It is not a warranty problem, so do it ;)

And have fun doing it... ;)

Buy the stick
Turn off the Mac
Pull out the power
Open the cover (See the handle on the cover? Pull it)
Find the other RAM sticks
Stick the new one where it fits
Put the clips on
Close the cover
Plug the power cord back in
Turn on
Enjoy

Even an idiot could do it...

One of the first things that I was taught by an Olde computer tech, was to NOT unplug the power cord. Make sure that power is off, but leave the power cord plugged in the outlet. This would assure that the system stays properly grounded. HOWEVER, I never felt comfortable with this, having gone through some electronics labs prior to that, so I also would echo unplugging the system. My hint is: after sticking the RAM in its slot, gently grab each corner of the installed memory and pull up, this makes sure that the little clips are completely seated (which means that the RAM is fully seated, as well.) If it comes back out with a gentle pull, then try again. Yeah, easy, 2 minutes, tops, even if you're ham-handed like me.

FYI: you will need to use some muscle to make sure that the RAM is seated.
I've got best results by pushing down on one end with ever increasing pressure until the tab snaps into the little indention on the edge of the RAM.
Then do the same on the other side.

Its real easy.

Oh yeah. RAM can only go in one way. Look at the bottom of the RAM chip and line up the (I believe) 2 indentions with the indentions in the RAM slot.

Back