Installing Os x And Os 9

Doesn't matter really, though it will depend on what you are trying to install it on. They must be on separate drive partioons and I would put OSX on first for preference.

Just boot from the CDs and follow the prompts.

They do NOT have to be on separate partitions. You can have OS X and OS 9 reside on the same partition if you like, or on separate partitions.

If you install OS X first, be sure to click the checkbox "Include OS 9 drivers" when you format the drive. Without these drivers, you will not be able to install OS 9 on the same drive as OS X. There is no way to add the OS 9 drivers later if you forget this step -- you must initially format with them, or re-format to get OS 9 drivers on there.

Also, be sure to format in HFS+ format (not plain HFS), as OS X requires the HFS+ format.

That being said, to prevent any hiccups along the way, I recommend installing OS 9 first (to make sure you've got OS 9 drivers on the drive), then install OS X.

Im installing it on a powerbook g3. I herd that os x has to be installed on the first partion. So I would install os 9 first and then os x?

If it's an older PowerBook G3, I believe that OS X must be installed within the first 8GB of the drive on a partition that is 8GB or less -- what size hard drive do you have?

If it's a newer PowerBook G3, I don't think this size/partition limitation exists.

What are the exact specs on the PowerBook (RAM, hard drive size, model of PowerBook, etc.)? With that information, we can give you a good OS 9/OS X install strategy for that computer.

Its a Wallstreet II a 266mhz, 192ram, 20gb hard drive. I had os x on it but then the old hd died so I have a 20 gb one coming.

Ah, yes, you must create a partition that is 8GB or less (7.45GB as reported by Disk Utility) to install OS X on. You can then use the remaining space for OS 9, or install OS 9 on that same 8GB partition, or create more partitions to your liking.

I would recommend creating an 8GB partition for OS X (this partition MUST be at the top [ie, first] of the graphical partition map as shown in Disk Utility), another 2GB partition for OS 9, then a 10GB (or whatever remains) partition for data and storage and what-not. This way, you can reinstall OS X or OS 9 separately without them interfering with each other if something happens to require a reinstall.

You'll also need OS 9 installed first if you intend to use OS X 10.3 or 10.4 on that machine, as they're unsupported by Apple and the only way you can install them is by using software called "XPostFacto" which requires OS 9 to operate. XPostFacto can be obtained here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/

More information on that model of PowerBook here:

http://lowendmac.com/pb2/g3series2.shtml

Back