Installing Ram in Powerbook

sapsi

Registered
Hello,
I have a powerbook 15inch (Aluminimium, Feb'05). I have 512mb stick i would like to insert, but i am at a loss to open those 4 tiny screws.

Is there anything i could use around the house that might help me open this?

Or if I have to go to shop to buy, could you suggest what sort of shop would sell screwdrivers that would open this, and what sort of screwdriver i should ask for?

I live in the US, Indiana.

Thanks
SG

Four screws?, no - there is only one screw to turn (not remove) - from the keyboard side, not the bottom side.

As per the respective 'Additional Memory' '.pdf' files at Apple, 'The only tool required for this procedure is a jeweler’s flat-blade screwdriver'.

View the '.pdf' for your powerbook and follow the instructions, especially with respect to static discharge, explicitly. A QuickTime movie is also provided.

---

Where?, try any 'dollar', hardware, or Radio Shack store. Most sell some sort of 'Jewelers set' or individual screw drivers.

barhar said:
Four screws?, no - there is only one screw to turn (not remove) - from the keyboard side, not the bottom side.

As per the respective 'Additional Memory' '.pdf' files at Apple, 'The only tool required for this procedure is a jeweler’s flat-blade screwdriver'.

Where?, try any 'dollar', hardware, or Radio Shack store. Most sell some sort of 'Jewelers set' or individual screw drivers.
Barhar is not quite accurate. The Aluminum PB 15" memory is where you think it is - on the bottom, with 4 small screws to remove. These are #0 Phillips (or cross-point, whatever), and Radio Shack is a good place to find a tool that will work.

DelatMac is correct - I unintentionally referred to the 15 inch PowerBook Titanium web page, when it should have been to the 15 inch PowerBook Aluminum web page.

I have a set of screwdrivers I bought at Sears long ago. The smallest philips was perfect. I tried a cheapo jeweler's screwdriver first but those screws are locktighted in and the shaft of the screwdriver spun in the handle.

So go to Sears or any decent hardware store and buy the smallest philips they have. If you're not sure buy a couple, teeny and not so teeny.

Keep an eye on this thread in the Apple Forum

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@211.8VwuacCG5TB.1@.59999ae4

There have been issues with PB Ram slots.

Back