installing snow leopard,MBPro, backing up

edwin folk

Registered
Well I finally got around to getting snow leopard. I hear you don't need in order to upgrade to snow leopard from Tiger.
I have backed up my mac data on a hard drive using CCCloner. And am completely confused as to what to do next. The question(s) I guess I have is how do I back up the Windows data? I have winclone ready to use, but every time I try to use it doesn't open. Do I have to do this from the windows? Obviously I am doing something wrong.

The first thing is to remember not to panic! I also assume you are on a Intel machine and not a PPC Mac so follow these steps:

1. Visit the site Snow Leopard Compatibility to make sure your applications are up to date. Optional: AppFresh.

2. Get an external hard drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner. Optional: If you used Boot Camp use WinClone to clone your Windows partition.

3. So clone your running Mac right now because we are going to clear out the junk throughout your Mac.

4. Buy a full copy of Snow Leopard Snow Leopard Box Set so you can get the full iLife experience since you are coming from Tiger (10.4.x)

5. Install Snow Leopard but before the install program gets going use the Snow Leopard DVD to totally erase your Mac partition and do a totally fresh install. This way you will totally clean out the old data that will slow your Mac down. During the install process the Snow Leopard Migration Assistant (/Applications/Utilities/Migration Assistant) will come up and you can point ti to you clone to import you email, pictures. music, etc.). You will need to get a coffee or tea during this part because it will take a while!. After all the data is imported and the install happens use Software Update to bring you Mac up to 10.6.2. Then use the AppFresh program to update your third party programs for Snow Leopard.

6. Use the iLife & iWork DVDs and install them then after that do another software Update to make sure it gets the updates for those programs from Apple.

7. Keep you tiger clone for a couple of weeks to make sure you get all the data you need from this clones.

Warning: Only fresh install the OS X partition, not the Windows partition!!!

Lastly I linked the Snow Leopard Box Set because going from Tiger the standard upgrade disk will not work right going from Tiger and to give you the full Mac experience. Now there are ways to do a fresh install with the SL upgrade disk. So if you don't want to pay for the Box Set then you can use just the Standard SL OS X disk and forgo the iLife experience and substitute it is the above steps instead.

satcomer,
thanks for the help.Yes, Ihave an Intel MacBook. I have already backed up the mac partition on a hard drive. Now should I back up the Windows before install of Snow Leopard? I keep trying to use winclone, but every time I open it from the applications folder it bounces in the dock and disappears. The reason I ask is because I have to do a reinstall of Windows for other reasons (trouble opening).

Basically not to worried about the install of snow leopard, just how to handle the windows side. Do I use winclone from the mac or windows? Or do I do the snow leopard install and then try winclone again?

Again thanks for your help, you helped in the past and your info is very thorough.

You did read this part, yes?
Features

Requires Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) New
Clone either FAT32 or NTFS partitions New
Mount images in the Finder New
http://twocanoes.com/winclone/

Upgrading to Snow Leopard shouldn't touch your Windows partition at all, unless you're careless in selecting a destination partition for the install or something. Backing up your Windows partition first wouldn't be a bad idea, but it is possible to upgrade to Snow Leopard without mangling your Boot Camp partition.

btw, I heard that you can go from tiger to snow leopard no problem. one question about backing up windows: winclone is now in my apps folder but every time I try to open it from the mac platform it bounces in the dock and then disappears without opening. Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Back