Installing Tiger - a real challange

gustavopi

Registered
Hi. I'm new here, and for the first thread I bring something real challenging.

My iMac are running a Panther that is really out of date. Nobody support it anymore. Minimum system today to work is Tiger. So I dicided to install it. I caught the CD version and try to run by USB external CD drive, since internal doest work anymore. As expected, Tiger says "cannot be installed on this machine".

So I get XPostFacto4 to force it. But at the manual, says that is not advisible to install over the main system at the first volume. The other volume is not bootable for some mysterious reason. I got to format it at the mac os 9, I got to boot by external drive to do it. But iMac dont wanna boot by external CD drive, and it got no FireWire port.

So I put the HD on an external case and plug it at my MacMini to install there. But Tiger does not run under Intel machines, neither OS 9. I try to install NetBoot9 in MacMini (Leopard) to boot iMac from network, but there was an installation error - may it requires OS server. Only sharing volumes or the CD drive is not enought, iMac does not detect it when booting.

I'm out of ideas... do you got some? Than you for reading my long story!

Yes. I thought that the CD version would have better possibilities. I may try DVD version (is not with me now) but I dont think will make any difference. What you think?

I do not believe there are legitimate copies of OS 10.4 on CD. In fact, that was one of the "surprises" for the earlier OS X users who did not have DVD players to load the new OS. Gurus can correct me when that happened.

If it is a DVD, it has to be either a "bona fide" Retail DVD or the one specific to the model or it simply will not recognize the computer.

--J.D.

I do not believe there are legitimate copies of OS 10.4 on CD. In fact, that was one of the "surprises" for the earlier OS X users who did not have DVD players to load the new OS. Gurus can correct me when that happened.
For a short time after Tiger's release, Apple offered a "side-grade" option (at about $20) whereby someone lacking a DVD drive could purchase Tiger on DVD, then send the disks to Apple and receive, in exchange, Tiger on CDs (3 CDs, I believe).

Thanks, I did not know that was as recent as Tiger.

So . . . he cannot have a complete legitimate copy of Tiger on one CD.

--J.D.

Is 4 CDs. But we are missing the point. Tiger install will not accept MacMini Core2Duo or iMac 333 without FireWire port in DVD version also (that's what Apple says). XPostFacto is a hacker software. We may talk about this, or talk about how Steve is a great guy. I'll still to like posting here...

For what it's worth, it's possible to install Tiger off of a hard disk rather than a DVD/CD. If you copy the DVD contents to an HD using imaging software (Disk Utility should work, but Carbon Copy Cloner might be better), you can then boot off of that partition and install onto another partition. You'd never need to boot from the DVD.

I don't know how this would work with multi-disc CD set. One partition per disc? I don't know. I've never tried that, but I've done it with the DVD version.

Of course, back up your data before messing with anything.

Many people talk about Copy Cloner. I decide to have it, but at the Panther it only runs 2.3 version. The latest version is only for Tiger or Leopard (you see why I need upgrade to Tiger). I may get the DVD version - one volume may be better to manage than four! My Panther was installed by an Apple support/store that is far far away from here, so my concern is not mass up to much this old machine because dont wanna spend money do fix it!

I'll try, than I give the feedback. Thank you!

Well, to be technologically exact and accurate, "hacker" does not entail illegal doings. "Cracker," on the other hand, does entail illegal doings (as well as being a derogatory ethnic term).

"Hackers" are good people. They're the reason we have optimized software and awesome security measures in place. It's all the rest of the people that aren't worth two craps. ;)

Back