Installing Tiger server issues

jdelgado

Registered
I am looking tho install MAC OS X tiger Server but when I try to install it says that I already have a newer version of mac (10.4.2). My question is how do I install it without having to erase and reinstall. Is there a way to take my server disc and intergrate the updates like you can with Windows? Thanks

The recommended way to install Mac OS X Server is to install a fresh copy of it on the drive.

Trying to upgrade a client version of Mac OS X to the server version is tricky, but can be done... I can't find the exact web page that explains how to do it, but it is possible. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it.

Is there some reason that there's data on your client version that you absolutely need for the server version? Is there some reason you cannot back up your existing installation and install Mac OS X Server fresh?

jdelgado said:
I am looking tho install MAC OS X tiger Server but when I try to install it says that I already have a newer version of mac (10.4.2). My question is how do I install it without having to erase and reinstall. Is there a way to take my server disc and intergrate the updates like you can with Windows? Thanks

I think Apple doens't want mixing of some OS on a single disc. Therefore they force you to do a CLEAN install.

Because of this, the best is to backup all your data (best is mix on cd, dvd, another drive, etc), partition your drive in at least to parts (make the OS partition at least 15 to 20 gb) and do your install.

For the future this will make re-installations a lot simpler (as long as your partition is large enough).

Good luck, Kees

Does it give you the option to do an Archive and Install? I haven't installed Tiger server so I don't know if it has the same options as the client version of Tiger.

If it does give you that option, try that. It should keep your apps intact while doing a clean install of the OS.

Back