Installing windows 10 through bootcamp

QueenOfTech

Registered
I wanna install windows 10 on my macbook pro... it's running on mojave and so my ssd is formatted in apfs and would prefer to leave it that way. Would I be able to run windows 10 seamlessly on my mac through bootcamp?

Also microsoft let you download win 10 for free it seems? I clicked "enter license key later". Is this a free trial or have they started offering win 10 for free? Sorry I'm confused

Yes. The Bootcamp assistant prepares a partition for installing Windows. It matters not that the Mac boot drive is formatted APFS.
You can download the Windows 10 install ISO free, and you can install just fine with that free ISO. You can continue to use Windows 10 for free.
BUT, there are some things that you might want to do, that can't be done from a non-activated Windows install, such as modifying the appearance of Windows, or customizing certain settings. You may find that using some commercial software (maybe some games) may not install on a non-activated Windows.
But, I have been using Windows 10 for a couple of years, not activated yet -- but my needs are minimal, using Windows when I need it.
So, yes, you can download (and install) Windows for free. The free install does NOT expire, like older Windows versions. Buy it if you need to use it fully. Or, just use it un-licensed if that suits your needs.

Thank you for the reply. Also can you install software not offered by Microsoft/app store on the free version?

What will happen if I accidentally delete the iso file? That is why i am so scared. Will I lose all my hard drive contents/

The ISO is the installer. That is its only function. Once you get Windows installed, you don't really need the ISO then - until next time.
I do two things with the ISO. I create a Windows installer DVD, and I create a bootable USB thumb drive, which, of course, is just an installer for Windows.
I install software quite often on my "free" Windows - but you might need to use software that works best on an activated Windows. That's something that you will need to find out on your own - because, in the end, I don't do much with Windows, and the things that I do, don't need other customization from the system. You may not necessarily have that same experience.
Install software that you want. If there is a problem with your Windows version, the installer will probably let you know.
So, use the free Windows, and purchase a license if you decide that you need it. (I can't help you decide to spend your money :D )

Finally, to answer your question - if you accidentally delete the ISO file, just download it again. The ISO, again, is just the installer. Once you have Windows installed successfully, then you don't need the ISO at all.

Thanks for the reply.

Will unsupported mac gpu’s work on windows 10 installed on a macbook? I hear you can eGPU’s, is it however possible to install unsupported GPU’s internally to reduce latency?

The MacBook Pro GPU is soldered to the logic board. You would need the skills to remove the existing GPU, and then install a different GPU.
Do you have some knowledge about replacing the internal GPU on ANY MacBook Pro? I have not heard of anyone who has done that (installing a different GPU). The older MacPros have that done commonly, but they have cards in a slot, so you can easily go back to a supported GPU if you have to do that. Won't happen on a MBPro. eGPU, probably, but still pretty expensive.

You may want to study on this some more.
I don't think you will get enough bandwidth from TB2. You would have to find out what is available, and if those eGPU support Thunderbolt 2

You may want to study on this some more.
I don't think you will get enough bandwidth from TB2. You would have to find out what is available, and if those eGPU support Thunderbolt 2
Even if I get a mid-range GPU? Will I still experience lag with TB2?

You have to ask yourself:
Is there a TB2 eGPU that will do what you want?
As this thread started with questions about using Windows 10, then I am guessing that would be your primary use for an eGPU?
So, you also need to find out if whichever eGPU you look at also has Windows 10 drivers/support.
You would need to ask that of the eGPU seller/developer.

Yes, that's an easy assumption. You do need to make sure you are not wrong by checking for that support.
Does Windows make most of the market for eGPUs that support ThunderBolt 2?
I "assume" that's a yes - but for your question, you should make sure the eGPU is compatible with the TB2 on your Mac.
Again, probably yes, but the answer might mean you have to test one or two eGPUs to see what works, and what (almost/nearly) works

Yes, that's an easy assumption. You do need to make sure you are not wrong by checking for that support.
Does Windows make most of the market for eGPUs that support ThunderBolt 2?
I "assume" that's a yes - but for your question, you should make sure the eGPU is compatible with the TB2 on your Mac.
Again, probably yes, but the answer might mean you have to test one or two eGPUs to see what works, and what (almost/nearly) works
Fair enough. Quick question... are trackpad gestures seamless on windows 10 for mac? Do you need to install any trackpad apps ?

You can make sure that the boot camp support software is installed. The boot camp support files can be downloaded separately, if you like. Just launch the Boot Camp assistant, and choose Download Windows Support files from the menu. You can then boot to Windows, then run the bootcamp setup from those files. Takes a few minutes to install that support software, which includes apps and drivers for your Apple hardware.
That should provide support for trackpad gestures. If that's not enough, then there's this: http://trackpad.forbootcamp.org
I think there are other apps out there that will enhance your "boot camp experience", so that depends on your needs, I suppose.

I think the best answer is to ask you back!
How does the trackpad work for you in Windows?
I don't install extra software for that in Windows/BootCamp, but the only trackpad I use with Windows is on an old MacBook - almost no gestures, but the trackpad has almost no gestures, even on OS X - So, I prefer a mouse :cool:

But, to try to answer part of your question, trackpad++ is the first one that I found, and it's just an example. Maybe there are others?
Anyway - try it without adding the trackpad++ app. Maybe the default BootCamp drivers will do enough for you, and you don't need to do anything except make sure the bootcamp drivers are fully installed.
Or, you have to add a "driver" app, such as trackpad++. or something else (if another exists (?) ), then it is what it is.
Windows, IMOH, has never been very good with mouse and other I/O devices, compared to Apple. Just my opinion.

Back