Intel Inside, Apple Outside

Great point, Windows has certainly reached its maturity. The current technology can't meet the demands of modern computing, especially in a few years. I read they are playing around with a unix based OS. Although it is unclear what their plans are.

About Singularity: "Besides Singularity's kernel being successfully written in C# (how cool is that!), there are all kinds of interesting lessons learned with respect to what a managed OS enables. Again, this is a prototype research OS, not a full fledged OS that can run the typical applications you've come to expect of an OS (or even provide a user interface beyond, say, that of DOS)."

I dunno... ;) ... Doesn't look like this would ever going to be a replacement for Windows... But we're off-topic, anyway.

Lt Major Burns said:
very true. i use osx because i feel windows is too dated, and also, yes because of the security. it is very easy to stay clean on windows, but it's also very easy for just one trojan to slip through. the one that hit my machine was msn plus!. everybody has this. i downloaded it, and got hit by the worst trojan i have ever seen

pop-ups in their hundreds a day, 30 icons that kept on reappearing on my desktop, folders created, toolbars added, systray apps added.

spybot and adware and mcaffee all removed it perfectly. until about 4 hours later when it was back. i am no novice when it come to pcs, but this one had me stumped. it took a complete system rebuild.

Only noob windows users get pop ups! Obviously you are using IE, you need to get firefox.

i am not a noob winodws user. i have been extensively using windows in all it's forms and providing tech support for windows since 3.1. i only switched to mac a year ago.

i never had pop ups. that was something that always happened to someone else. and yes, they use IE, because as far as i'm concerned, this computer was clean enough without having to use firefox, which is buggy, slow, incompatible and ugly. until we got a trojan (it was my parents home machine, in the summer). hidden in an executable for a program widely trusted, (msn plus!) my sister installed it, like she has done a million times over, and this one let in a trojan. all this security, with all the mcafee/adaware/ms anti spyware etc popups warning you that warn you for everyday things, that you don't know when this one is actually critical.

it screwed the computer. all the cleaning tools i had couldn't get rid of it, i even browsed my windows forums, asked questions, tried everything, achieved nothing. it required a complete system rebuild, which took nearly a week to get back on track again.
please don't question my windows knowledge until you know who i am.

and if only windows 'noobs' get pop-ups, then i reckon about 80% of windows' user base is 'noob'.

Ever notice how these trojans and viruses are typically hidden in "system enhancer" kinds of programs?

If people weren't so obsessed with making their computer "cool" or "neat looking" or getting more asinine smileys for their chat sessions, these trojans and viruses wouldn't spread at the rate they do!

We've got a vanilla Windows XP Pro SP2 install here... it's a super-productive machine with all sorts of productivity software on it. Changing the color scheme and the desktop picture is "cool enough" for us. I can live without the animated smiley that bangs his head against the wall or some Star Trek-flavored windowing theme. These kinds of things are the highways that viruses and trojans use to get into your computer -- I would recommend to those that need something "cool" to look at to go down to an art museum and buy a nice painting. I can guarantee that this alternate course of action will not infect your computer with a virus or trojan.

i have to stress that it was my sisters lack of taste. i personally love the minimal approach of mac messenger.

Well, we've discussed that here already, of course - and came to the conclusion that Apple would *not* use the stickers for obvious (design) reasons. Apple will certainly claim that the chips they're using are the best bar none (they'll of course emphasize the one thing the chip's really good at, performance/watt etc.), so people will _know_ there's an intel chip inside - even without a sticker.

I'm more interested in the naming schemes. The iBook only accepted the "G" moniker when the G4 went into the iBook. The iBook G3 just had "iBook" written below the display. So basically, they could just go back to calling it "iBook", or they could give it the name of the processor, although "iBook Yonah" would probably not look that good. iBook II? Too 80s. Hmm...

Personally, I wouldn't mind the "Intel Inside" sticker. I've been one of those who have claimed that the sticker isn't advertising, but a warning label, before. But I'll accept it if it comes with subsidies from Intel, and thus makes Mac's less expensive. I don't think it'll happen though, for all the reasons previously mentioned in this and other threads...

fryke said:
I'm more interested in the naming schemes. The iBook only accepted the "G" moniker when the G4 went into the iBook. The iBook G3 just had "iBook" written below the display.
I suspect that we will start seeing references to the "G6" processors... I remember right before the G5 came out and the discussion as to what Apple would do about using a processor called the PPC970, and what they would call it. Now I think that G6 is what Apple would like to call it, but as to whether Intel would go along with this or not is questionable. I'm sure they would like to have at least a little bit of publicity and recognition, which is less likely if their name is never mentioned.

It would make no sense since it's not the 6th generation of the PPC architecture from Motorola/IBM. They are using a brand new CPU tha has nothing to do with the PPC architecture. As fryke mentioned, we might see a completely different name...maybe even without the "Power" before the Macintosh. It might just simply be "Macintosh" as it was before. Of course, we won't know until next year, be it January or June.

It might not make sense, but I don't think that alone will stop Apple. Regardless of what they do I think it will cause a fair bit of consternation among some, but eventually we will all get used to it, whatever it is.

SuperTyphoon said:
They would be better off going to AMD. But they wanted money over customer satisfaction.
98% of all their customers don't eve know what AMD is and that they exist. Plus, Intel's new mobile processors are gonna be sweet, and that's one of the reasons they switched because the G5 ain't going into a laptop anytime soon.

Currently, Intel has a better low-power option compared to what AMD has to offer, especially when it comes to notebooks. AMD has the Turion, but even that doesn't match the power-to-performance rating you get on the Centrino, especially with Yonah and it's successor coming down the pike. Yes, AMD has a better option for hardcore gamers and power users, but Intel gives you a good balance of performance and power savings that AMD currently can't match.

And yes, I do prefer AMDs over Intel when it comes to PC towers since I do like to game, but you have to face reality and the reality is that Intel is still ahead in the game especially when it comes to power consumption.

amd make very fast processors. that's what they do. but they frequently have supply problems (a theory based on the fact that i reckon i could buy 5 off-the-shelf- pentium pcs for every one amd pc they have in stock in a shop), and have no alternative. in that way,they sound like IBM - the G5 is still a very powerful processor, there's no question of that, but it's not scalable in any way, and they have always had supply problems. IBM doesn't have the time for apple, and nor would amd, they don't care. intel has a special place for apple, it's been trying to poach apple from IBM for years now. they want apple, and are prepared to keep them.

I think Apple makes always the right move, and the rest of the industry follows their steps (copying exactly what they do i.e.: Microsoft). If Apple has chosen intel is because it is the best chip or at least the one with better roadmap....

Yesterday January 10th of 2006, 5 monts before it was announced, Apple introduced the new "machines" intel-inside apple-outside, and they are just brilliant.

One Mac Lover
----------------
http://www.cafepress.com/appleoutside (shout to world "we think different")

Back