Interesting law decision regarding chats...

rbuenger

Registered
I've just found a very interesting artice regarding chat logs...

I think you should read this:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/233

As far as I understand this means that you are nor allowed to create a log or history from an chat session (AIM, ICQ..) or even screenshots from the chatwindow if your chatpartner is not informed over this kind of data storage.

You are engaged in a chat session with some friends and colleagues, when one of them makes a witty remark or imparts a pithy bit of information. You hit CTRL-A and select the conversation, then copy it to a document that you save. Under a little-noticed decision in a New Hampshire Superior Court in late February, these actions may just land you in jail.

That is only in some states in USA ... but of course everywhere, it is good behaviour to let the person you want or intend to save the conversation (whether phone or chat) in advance, and bad behaviour in failing to do that.

The article is interesting though - regarding the employers (rights) to save all in and outbound email, read hte employees emails, and to store all communications (email, phone calls, IMs etc).

it is good behaviour to let the person you want or intend to save the conversation (whether phone or chat)

OR email. I've had more than one instance where something I sent via email was forwarded - sometimes to a large number of other people - without my knowledge or permission. It's important to watch what you say in emails, but ANYONE is going to use different language when emailing someone they know well (or think they do) than they do with a general audience.

IMHO that's the one and only good thing about Lotus Notes: when you're emailing other Notes users, you can make messages non-forward-able and even non-copy/paste-able.

well then why doesn't Apple/AOL/MSN/other chat progs with chat logging have a warning in the EULA saying that your chats may be logged by other users...???

JetwingX said:
well then why doesn't Apple/AOL/MSN/other chat progs with chat logging have a warning in the EULA saying that your chats may be logged by other users...???

I have feeling that in the future you'll see those EULAs.

If you don't want what you say recorded or logged, don't say it. In the US, with the new Homeland Security Laws, it really doesn't matter if you don't give permission to have anything recorded, supposedly for the protection of the US, but I'm sure these laws will be circumvented.

rbuenger said:
I've just found a very interesting artice regarding chat logs...

I think you should read this:
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/233

As far as I understand this means that you are nor allowed to create a log or history from an chat session (AIM, ICQ..) or even screenshots from the chatwindow if your chatpartner is not informed over this kind of data storage.

What if I have a software that monitors the chat of my children ? should all their friends be informed ???

Just a note to the farwarding mail think. This is (at least in germany) not allowed. In germany it's also illegal to send mails to multiple receivers if they are all inserted in the To or CC field because than every receiver can read all those other mail addresse's.

Here you hate to use the bcc field or you have to ask every person on that list if he allows you to transmit you address to other.

Every time you transfer any personal data to someone you need the written permission for this.

And just forwarding my mail could cost you about $50000 or even jail if I can show that you've knowledge that this was forbidden.

Ok, most people never heard of that here and create roundmails every day but if someone does this with my address or name he gets warned once and if he does it a second time he's got a problem ;)

Do all MSN users have to inform their partners that MSN can log what is said during the chat ?

That's just plain stupid...

Further more, a employer is allowed (at least here) to log all his employees Internet activities if he informs his employees... how does he announce it to everybody who could be sending a message to any one of his employees ?

Back