Interesting Panther Glitch

JetwingX

iWork for Apple <3
I found an interesting little glitch with 10.3.0
(works best on the desktop)

Act as if you were going to rename a file or folder

then press F11 (the one that pushes windows off to the sides) and watch the text box move ^,^

For those of us not enchanted with Panther, what does it do? And can you provide a screenshot?

I suppose if you think of the file having no name and the rename window being a standalone window whenever you request a file rename then this could be consistent with the metaphor ... but that's a little bit of a stretch.

I renamed a file on my desktop while it's name was waaaaaay up in the corner. Then I f11'd back to normalcy and Apple-Z'd back to the original file name. It's a visual glitch, but definitely a touch of ugly in the works. I'm not sure if I like the consistent workflow like it is, or if I'd rather have the cleaned up visual of having a rename bail on you and default back to the original when you F11.

I must say, I'm kind of disturbed by my sudden use of f11 as a verb while talking not just about a Macintosh application but about an OS bundled feature. Really, a friggin' F key. At least it's re-mappable. I'd be pretty peeved if Apple took the F-keys away from the user and locked into the OS. It's bad enough if an application steals them. They should be user programmable.

But back to the glitch. Yeah. Funny.

here's a picture. Also worth noting is that the pdf screen capture is somewhat less annoying now that preview is so quick about opening and happy about exporting to reasonable formats like JPEG, target file size 50k.

ummm, Safari doesn't seem to be attaching.

EDIT: OK, turns out it did attach. But boy, the feedback on that process was pretty bad when I did it. Had to submit to see if anything was there, and then there were two because I tried it twice, so then I deleted one. icky.

The picture was taken of exposé as it was moving the name to the edge of the screen. Shift F11, Shift Apple 3.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 205
lol, I guess the "text field" thinks it's a window, so it moves. Expose is just great. I had to change my key combination due to a conflict with Flash.

any problems. i suggest u just report to apple instead of posting a topic. or just do both...
but reportin it to apple really does help more. :)

There are a few things about Panther I like quite a bit.
1) The boot up time is much faster
2) Applications seem to boot up and perform faster. For instance. I use Corel's Painter 8 and it functions much better under this version of OSX
3) User switching is fast and stable! Better than Window's XP
4) The Exposé feature is pretty darn cool. Especially for someone like me who keeps a millions Apps and Documents open at a time.
Are there glitches and problems? To be certain, yet. Especially that firewire issue was a bad thing to have slipped through. Overall I am very stoked by this upgrade and have felt comfortable migrating all of my systems over to it.

So what happens when the windows are off screen and you hit enter to accept the name. If you press F11 again, does the name go back to where it should be under the folder?

Yes. It is then named, and it's name appears under the folder just fine, while the rest of the windows remain offscreen. odd glitch.

The girl is Fiona Apple, it's a publicity pic from the data portion of the album Tidal. Back when multi format CD's were cool and novel, and used a cross platform standard QT and Macromedia Director combo. Those were the good days. Men were real men, mac users were real mac users, and small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri.

As for that whole reporting this bug to Apple comment. I would, if I were convinced it was a bug. It's an oddity, a novelty, but the only reasonable looking solution I can come up with actually reduces functionality. I'm not sure it should be changed, that's why I'm not reporting it to Apple. I report enough stuff already that is obviously wrong.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Umm, that's Fiona Apple, dude... you can tell by the enormous lips and pouty face...

i think you mean enormous face and pouty lips? =)

tsizKEIK said:
any problems. i suggest u just report to apple instead of posting a topic. or just do both...
but reportin it to apple really does help more. :)

who says i didn't??

(before and after pix)

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 67
  • After.jpg
    After.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 67
This same type of glitch can be achieved by opening a big PDF file in Preview and then switching to Exposé while the file loads. The file's sidebar will appear, but not placed beside the file.Many Exposé glitches are possible. Try opening files and switching to Exposé before the file completely opens...

I noticed the thing with preview too... Think it's rather funy ;-) and it doesn't make exposé less useful luckily.

Jet: Where'd the label actually go? :)

It's no surprise that you guys are getting odd stuff in Exposé, it's still a new technology though very well polished for such.

I'm much more disturbed by that Fionna Apple desktop then I am with any of these trivial glitches.

urbansory: I had that same conflict with the flash hotkeys [show library] and also the dreamweaver [preview in browser] hotkey was f12 so I use strictly hot corners now to avoid these collisions. BTW, when coupled with mouse sensitivity at max, Hot Corners are way faster when you get the hang of them.

Back