Internal HD/Enclosure for iBook ??

vjmacaddict

Registered
I've been looking at different internal HDs and enclosures for my G4 iBook (OS X 10.3.9), and found these two items: Maxtor MaXLine III 7L300R0 300GB 7200RPM IDE Ultra ATA133, 16MB cache, 5yr warranty for $177.00, at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ategory=14&propertycodevalue=359:7788&bop=and

and the Rosewill RX30-U2FA 3.5" USB/Firewire External Enclosure, IDE, for $64.99 at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817173003

Question: I'd like to be able to connect the HD (internal + enclosure) to both iBook and PowerMac 7300/500 (G3 upgrade). Would this be a problem? What about the size limit on the PM7300/500? I have slow USB on the PM7300, no Firewire. Running System 9.1/8.6 on the PM, 200MB RAM.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

The hard drive size limit only applies to the ATA controller, not the computer. Older Macintosh computers (pre-MDD G4 models) can only recognize up to 137GB of a drive. One workaround is to put the hard drive in an external enclosure, as most external enclosure's ATA bridge support large drives (> 137GB).

What you want to do is completely feasible. Go for it!

Even if I'm connecting an external HD via the slow USB, my old PowerMac 7300/500 (G3 upgrade) will actually be able to read/write more than 137GB? Would a SCSI connection make any difference?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
The hard drive size limit only applies to the ATA controller, not the computer. Older Macintosh computers (pre-MDD G4 models) can only recognize up to 137GB of a drive. One workaround is to put the hard drive in an external enclosure, as most external enclosure's ATA bridge support large drives (> 137GB).

What you want to do is completely feasible. Go for it!

vjmacaddict said:
Even if I'm connecting an external HD via the slow USB, my old PowerMac 7300/500 (G3 upgrade) will actually be able to read/write more than 137GB? Would a SCSI connection make any difference?
Yes, your old Mac will be able to read/write all 300GB of the drive. But, that may not be the only compatibility issue you run into with that old machine, so just because you won't be limited to 137GB doesn't mean that the experience will be trouble-free... (just a disclaimer!)

SCSI doesn't have the same 137GB limit -- it's strictly an ATA-thing. I don't know if SCSI has any size limits, but it does not have the ATA 137GB limit.

Back