Internet access blind spots !

Oriole

Registered
I have a 5-year-old iMac 9.1 with OS 10.6.8, Safari and Firefox, together with a VMware Fusion virtual PC with Windows XP and Internet Explorer which operates through my iMac's wireless internet connection. I've no special security on my Mac but have McAfee Antivirus Plus on my virtual PC.

I'm having the following problems:

1. I've been unable to enter my gas and electricity consumption numbers in the best utility finder at Moneysaving expert.com. It accepted all other personal details but the consumption input boxes remained blank when I went to input my numbers.

I encounter the same problems with all three of my browsers.

This did not happen when I tried the same thing on my daughter's MacBook nor on my neighbour's PC.

2. My usernames and passwords were rejected the other day by McAfee and by my bank, TSB.

The McAfee password rejection happened when I tried to access McAfee's technical support, as I've done many times previously with no problem. Upon being told that my username and/or password were incorrect, I clicked the username forgotten button, only to be told that my email address was not recognised, despite being used by McAfee to email me. When I then tried the link in their email, I was presented with an error message.

The TSB problem occurred when I decided it was time I changed my password. It was only after several attempts and alternative passwords, with a TSB technician monitoring things, that I finally had a new password accepted.

3. From time to time I come across websites that Firefox cannot access but Safari can.

So:

Does anyone have any idea what could wrong; any common thread in all of this; and what I could do about it?

For example, would it help to erase my hard drive and reinstall everything, either on my existing Snow Leopard or after upgrading to Mavericks?

Do you remember what you did or installed just before this started? Anything added to the Windows side? Are you accessing these sites on the Mac side or Windows?

Do you remember what you did or installed just before this started? Anything added to the Windows side? Are you accessing these sites on the Mac side or Windows?

Hello Cheryl,

Apart from changing my password in the case of my bank, I can't think of anything new I "did", and there was nothing new installed, other than automatic updates which come thick and fast on my virtual PC, particularly from McAfee.

I do wonder about any possible deleterious effect of Macaroni and Disk Warrior on my Mac and of CCCleaner on my virtual PC.

As I said, the problems described in 1 & 2 were encountered both on my Mac and on my virtual PC.

Well Virtual PC uses the same Ethernet port you Mac does. I would look at McAfee on the Windows side and see if it's firewall (built in McAfee) is blocking everything. On the Mac side I would look to Flash and also your browser's Java settings. Also see if another browser (like Firefox) is seeing the same thing.

Back