Internet Ethernet ISDN Modem Novice!

amcliz

Registered
Hi...
I just got rid of my Leonardo USB Modem for a recommended D-Link ISDN Ethernet Modem and Router. I have all of my four computers working perfectly on my LAN as per before... my main problem is that I used to connect to the internet using the drop down modem menu where my Leonardo USB & Apple Internal 56K Modems were listed. As I am new to Ethernet... I'm totally blank as to how I now connect to the internet. My old PPP is the only method I have ever used. I have a G4Ti running OSX 10.4.2. plus a G5 running the same. I have a G4 running OS9 along with a G3. How do I connect to the internet now with my new Ethernet Modem... what other configurations should I be doing... I tried messing about with Network Assistant... using PPPoE, but still no connection.... do I have to enter my ISP's phone number as I did before using my ISDN USB Modem?? I'm at a loss as what to do. The green light is on in the Networking pane.... but I must have something not correctly done as to connect. Please help as I really need to have my system back up and functioning by the morning if at all possible.

Yours sincerely,
Anthony

Irish MacUser and MacAddict

If you're using an ISDN router, then you need to configure the router to use PPPoE, and configure the machines connected to the router to use DHCP (for the simplest setup).

Your router's manual should tell you how to configure it for PPP use -- normally, you use a web browser on one of the networked computers to connect to the router's web-based administration screen by hitting up an address such as 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1.

Hi ElDiabloConCaca...
Cheers for your speedy reply.... the manual... doesn't mention any other info than what I have done... there was a CD with it but it's for a PC. I'm totally new to all this Ethernet stuff... I have had a LAN for years now.. but I never used it to connect to te internet. I have entered the PPPoE setting in the Network Preferences.... but as for againing access to the routers web based administration screen... that's totally alien stuff to me.... sorry for sounding sooo uninformed about all this.... it must be soo simple to you... I have seen those 192.168.0.1 type numbers when I was setting up DCHP for file sharing between my four computers.... but they mean nothing to me really. Do you have time to chat live on Yahoo Messenger... or ichat??

I know you must be busy.... thanbk you sooo much for all your help...

Anthony

Well, setting up PPPoE in the System Preferences isn't going to help, since your computer no longer controls the modem -- the router does now. I'm assuming it's a pretty standard router, so it should do DHCP address assigning, so all your computers should be set up for Automatic DHCP.

Then, we've got to get your router set up for PPPoE. Set up the computers for DHCP, then try going to http://192.168.0.1 with a web browser on one of the computers. If that doesn't work, try 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.100 or some simple variant of that. That should get you to the router setup screen, and then we can try getting the router set up for PPPoE.

What is the exact model of router? I could look it up and possibly get a manual for it, then tell ya exactly what to do to get it working.

Back