Internet networking new iMac Intel with old G4 PowerMac & PowerBook

blue gekko

I *heart* Mac
I'm purchasing a new iMac intel core2 duo and want to connect it and my G4 500MHz Power Mac tower and 550Mhz PowerBook wirelessly to the internet. I have received conflicting advice and hope someone can help.

Scenario: I have Cable modem at the front of my house and will put the iMac in a different room about 10m away. I have my G4 tower separate from the house about 40m away and my PowerBook won't be more than 10m from the modem. I am purchasing a 500GB Time Capsule to act as a wireless router and as an external hard drive for the iMac.
How do I, or can I, connect the other two macs to the internet wirelessly?

The advice 1: iMac is fine.
G4 Tower_install an airport express card (802.11n) and insert where the old card should go. It should connect to internet wirelessly.
PowerBook_same thing(?)
The advice 2:
G4 Tower_install a Shintaro USB2.0 5-Port PCI Card and Addlogix USB 2.0 54MBps Wireless Adaptor
PowerBook_can't do anything for it.

I have tried to keep the advice simple so I hope I haven't missed any of the info I was given, therefore I hope the above makes sense to someone. I don't know much at all so I hope some technical person can help. Just in case I resolve it and miss thanking you, thanks to all who reply.

Your ISP sells you ONE IP. So you have to buy a wireless router like Airport Extreme (other brands will do) that both of your Macs can speak to (wireless security). Hopefully both your Macs can use WPA2.

Thanks for replying, Satcomer, sorry I took so long to get back but I've been away. To be quite honest, I had to find out what WPA2 is and have now left it in my sons hands to follow up with your reply. Thanks again for your quick reply.

Just remember when you are taking a Mac off the cable/DSL modem and putting a router (wired or wireless) power off your modem for at least 15 seconds so it will reset and register the new device.

Always good advice, thanks.

Actually, it seems I got the first bit of advice wrong. Apart from some configuring of the hardware/software of the airport express it will be connected to either G4s via an RJ45(?) cable. Is that making more sense?

Back