Internet page display problems

easterhay

little green rosetta
Hello,

I have a very irritating problem with web pages. They don't display properly. It seems to be pages which are java-heavy; somehow, java just stops working (though this is my very inexpert interpretation based on a couple of Java error messages). Hence, Yahoo mail sucks, Facebook sucks, guardian.co.uk sucks, all from a layout point of view. Fonts don't load correctly, buttons will disappear, video won't work. I've uploaded a couple of screenshots to make things a bit clearer. Youtube unfailingly shows me a polite message saying: "We're sorry, the video you requested is no longer available."

Yet if i access the same pages through a proxy like anchorfree, the pages load ok and videos magically reappear on Youtube. So it seems it must be a local problem, but how and why? I am in Argentina, and a friend visited recently on a tour of S. Am and said she has encountered the same problem in internet bars throughout this country, but not, for example, in Brazil!

Screens:
Without a proxy

Using a proxy (Anchor free)

I'm on 10.4.11, 17" iMac G5, latest Safari, Firefox, Opera and even (shudder) IE, Java and security up to date. All browsers have the same prob, likewise with a 10.3.9 G4 iBook.

This forum works fine, btw, whereas pictures won't load on news.bbc.co.uk. I'd rather not depend on web proxies as a solution as they are ad-heavy, resource demanding and often slow.

Thanks for any help.

It sounds like the problem lies with the ISP, and if it does, there's not much you can do about it other than continue to use the proxy service.

If the problem manifests itself on a location basis, and more than one person with different computers experience this, then it's likely that the internet access is being filtered in some way depending on your location.

What, no magic wand, Sñr Diablo???

Hehe, thanks for the answer, though it depressingly confirms my fears. Wonder what they filter, how and why.

EDIT: oh, and the weirdest thing of all is that it comes and goes. Mrs 'Hay is currently in Facebook heaven with no glitches whatsoever.

Back