Internet problem

GCampbell

Registered
Hi. I seem to be having a problem connecting to my internet properly. Its strange it says i'm connected to the router but some things I can't seem to do such as updating the mac, can't get access to steam, some sites won't work because they are asking me to add exception to access it and for some reason chrome won't work now. Also when I have access to a site such as forum I keep having to refresh the page to be able to click on different posts. It's a weird problem. Any ideas what it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Have you changed your firewall settings recently?
Sounds like your firewall settings are too strict for your normal use...
You could try changing those to less restrictive settings, such as "Allow only essential services"

Have you recently added software to your system that would affect your security - such as antivirus software, or internet protective software like
"Icefloor", or "Little Snitch" ?

Just after looking and my firewall isn't even on. I didn't install anything the past few days. It was working fine yesterday before, a bit slow but fine then when I got back from work all this started happening.

... i'm connected to the router but some things I can't seem to do such as updating the mac, can't get access to steam, some sites won't work because they are asking me to add exception to access it and for some reason chrome won't work now. ...
The symptoms that you describe sound like you are connecting to your router's guest network rather than the standard network. If this is the case, then you need to explicitly select your regular network.

I have been trying to click on it and set up the network again if that's what you mean. If it's not how do I do it?

Ok I have been trying more to connect and it's actually driving me nuts. I feel like ****ing my laptop against the wall.

Are you connecting wirelessly?
Are you connecting to YOUR wireless network (the one that belongs to you)?

The network is "set up" on your router, and not usually on your computer.
If wireless, can you see your own network as a choice in the Wifi/Airport menu?

Your own network should be the one that has a check beside it.
If the check is actually next to a different network, then simply select yours - you shouldn't need (or want) to set up a new network.

Try restarting your wireless router (unplug, then reconnect the power cord for the router).
Try restarting your Mac.
Check again, after the restart, that you are connecting to YOUR wireless.

Are you certain that the network you are trying to connect to, is yours?

After you restarted, did your Mac connect easily (and quickly - hopefully with NO assistance from you) to the correct network?

Can you tell us which Mac you have - running what version of OS X?
What brand of wireless router do you have? The model number can also be helpful here.

Is your wireless network protected with a password (and that should be with WPA2 encryption, NOT WEP!)- and does ANYONE else have access to your wireless network?

It's osx 10.8.2. The router is technicolor. Can't see the model number and its a wep password. Don't think anyone has access to it.

Current OS X version is 10.8.4
Download that from here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1659
Install that combined updater, which will update various parts of your system.
I suspect that your router is failing.

If the router is provided by your ISP, you should contact your ISP's support about that. They will likely replace it.

Bring WHAT in for repair? Router? Computer? something else?

First, find out if your Mac works (connects OK) with another network.
And, then try a different computer or laptop on your own network, checking for any connection problems.

Did you download and then run the 10.8.4 updater (from my post #11) ? Did that help at all?

If you still have problems (which may also exist with OTHER computers using your network), I still suspect your router...

My mac connects to the one in my folks house but same problem happens. Everything else in my house connects fine such as my house mates laptop, our phones, my game consoles. I installed the update but it hasn't made any difference.

Delete your network settings on your Mac.
Restart, and set up your network interfaces, and the network connection in general.
You can do that quite easily by deleting the SystemConfiguration folder in the /Library/Preferences folder.
You will have to provide your admin password to drag that folder to the trash.
Restart immediately, and the system will create a new set of files, including a new folder for your network configs.
Often, users recommend that you add a location, and don't use the Automatic location that the system provides by default.
Finally, set up your DNS server, using one of the public DNS servers, such as that for OpenDNS, or even the Google public DNS servers.
Here's an example, using either OpenDNS, or Google public servers.
That maintenance will likely give you a more reliable connection, faster too, probably. I think it will help you.

Ok I found that and tried setting it up but no joy. I'm not sure if this is anything to do with it but when I go to dns I see some random name as 1of the search domains. What is that?

You should be able to remove any DNS entry that you find in the DNS section. If you CANNOT delete, then you may simply see the DNS that the router provides, so you could then just change the DNS in the router itself.
So, just add the public servers to that DNS section, and remove ones that you don't want (if they will delete).
In the search domains list, you could select, then delete any items that you think don't belong. Again, they might not delete if your router, or your ISP provides those items as the standard setup.

Back