Internet Problems

Flames Fanatic

Registered
Hi guys,

I just got a new Macbook Pro, with Lepoard OS. My problem is this:

I used bootcamp to install Windows XP. I've got XP working, but I cannot connect to the internet while using Windows. I've tried to connect through both wireless and hardline, but no dice.

I even tried using this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021 but there wasn't any success.

Any advice? Thanks in advance guys.

go to Start -> Run then type in "cmd" (without the quotes) into the run box and hit ok. you should then have command prompt open. type: "ipconfig" without the quotes again and let me know what your computer says its IP Address is. You should see something to the effect of:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.58
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.1

After you let me know of your findings, I'll be able to help you out much more

Hmmm, now this is odd. I followed your steps, but this what it says:

Windows IP Configuration

Thats it, nothing else. Then it just waits for my next command.

The problem is that your network cards are disabled. go to control panel and go to network connections then right click your wireless connection as well as your local network connection and click enable.

Well, I think I've discovered the problem, however, I don't know what to do here either. Both the Ethernet Controller and the Network controller do not have drivers installed. However, without the ability to connect to the internet to find these drivers, what would you suggest to do?

In terms of your solution supanatral, my network connection doesn't look like its disabled. I clicked on network connections, and it only showed the one, and it isn't disabled. I could be going about it the wrong way however, or it could be the problem I listed above.

When you used Boot Camp to install Windows XP on the Mac, did you create the drivers disc that you're supposed to create when running through the Boot Camp Assistant? That should have given you the option to create the disc with all of the necessary Windows drivers for the Mac hardware.

Leopard's Boot Camp doesn't create a driver disk, if I remember correctly. I would think it'd be as easy as telling Windows to search the Leopard DVD for the correct drivers (right click the interface, "Update Driver", etc.).

Leopard's Boot Camp doesn't create a driver disk, if I remember correctly. I would think it'd be as easy as telling Windows to search the Leopard DVD for the correct drivers (right click the interface, "Update Driver", etc.).

Ah good to know. I'm still on Tiger at home (and on PPC at that). I've used Boot Camp with Tiger on the Intel Macs at work, but even there we haven't moved to Leopard yet.

I'll give this latest one a try. I'll report back as soon as I get home from work and try it. Thanks again for the help thus far guys.

Edit: I'm sorry guys, I'm currently getting ready to move off to university and haven't had a chance to try your methods. I'll post as soon as I have new info on the matter.

Last edited:
So a no on the drivers being on the Leopard CD. The drivers are there, but the Windows half doesn't recognize the files, since they are Mac specific. I'm going to try and find them appropriate drivers online, and then I'll let you guys know if that worked or not.

Allright guys, prepare to call me an idiot. I'm a bit of a control freak, and I turned off Autoplay. All I had to do was pop in the lepoard CD and it auto installed the drivers once i autoplayed it. Thanks for all the help.

Back