Internet Tethering from iPhone to iPad

jcan

Registered
Hello all,

I am planning to buy the 64 GB Wi-Fi iPad. The reason I do not opt for the 3G model is that I want to use my iPhone 3GS as a Wi-Fi Router, and thus connect my iPad to it and surf the net.

Somebody told me that he heard that I have to install a separate app in my iPhone in order to do the job. Is that true, or do I simply have to activate the Internet Tethering in the iPhone (never tried this before, mind you) and then it will be discovered by the iPad immediately?

Thanks in advance!

You can use your iPhone to create an ad-hoc wireless network that other devices can join and use the iPhone's data connection for internet -- if your iPhone is jailbroken and has a specific app installed from the Cydia library, and that's something I advise against.

In countries that support it (which is NOT the USA at the moment), you can use the iPhone tethered to your computer via USB so that your computer can use the iPhone's data connection (officially supported by Apple, without jailbreaking). The iPad is not a "computer" in this sense and does not support using the iPhone in a tethered fashion (as far as I know).

Just a little more information on the subject...

Back