"iOffice" almost confirmed

Originally posted by senne
you will always be forced to use Microsoft apps (exept for msn messenger, but then again, Proteus/Fire/... do not fully take advance of the MSN Service, f.e. they don't have filesharing)

I hope Apple will implement MSN Messenger Service in iChat! That would be great. But will microsoft allow this? No.
Then there's still .wmv. No way microsoft allows apple to put the .wmv-technology in QT!

It's important for apple to keep in buissiness with MicroSoft
Um, except at school I don't use Microsoft apps. Sure, I have Office on my Mac (that I got free legally through Penn State), but I never use it. I have no need for it. And I am sure that there is something to this "iOffice" idea, because it makes too much sense. Macs need a preloaded full-featured word processor, or at least something equivalent to but cheaper than Work. AppleWorks doesn't cut it for many (most?) people. At the same time, here at Penn State Abington, I look around and everyone is using AIM. A few of my friends also dabble in ICQ, but I have not seen an MSN user in months, literally. I have one friend who uses Yahoo more than AIM, and that has been slowly changing. You are most likely right about .wmv never going into QT, but that probably has more to do with DRM not existing on Mac more than anything. You are also right with your last comment, except I think the point of all these slaps in M$'s face (iChat being AIM, Safari, Keynote, ".Mac is everything .NET was supposed to be," and more) is Apple saying M$ needs Apple's business too, and that Apple isn't going to be bullied anymore. M$ and Apple most likely will continue to do business together, but more as equals rather than "You need our support to stay alive, so you will give in to all our demands!"

I have my doubts that Keynote was indeed the software Steve used during his presentations.

The presentations have been very basic text, with minimal graphics, so he could have been using anything, including PowerPoint. The introduction of Keynote mandated that Steve say he's been using it all along. It wouldn't look good if he said otherwise. There's kind of an associational marketing which makes consumers want to buy it because "that's what Steve uses."

Also, the novelty of owning an application which was beta tested by Steve is nothing to dismiss either.

As far as the intent of Apple, it's been posted all over the web that Apple and MS are not in great relations, Apple is covering their back by providing users MS alternatives.

I'm confident that Apple will do well with these "iOffice" releases.

And in regards to AppleWorks. There seems to be a negative association with AppleWorks. A lot of my friends remember that application and shy away from current releases. I think software has the ability to become, dated, simply by name. Take Page Maker for example. Adobe all but changed the entire program, and it still didn't do as well as expected. AppleWorks, reminds me of the old, dated applications in the 80's. Apple has come a long way, I think they should drop the application name, if even to just repackage it and rename it as a possible MS Word rival. (IMHO).

I say go Apple! Make an office suite, sever all ties with M$. Make the office suite gloriously compatible with M$ Office, yet have advantages over it. Advertise it heavily. It's about time they did this!

FORCED TO USE MICROSOFT APPS ?? hahahahhahahahaha.
NO way. as soon as they make a good enough iOffice. and iChat gets a new update.. bye bye microsoft... :)

Originally posted by stealth
and iChat gets a new update.. bye bye microsoft... :)

AIM is not the only IM-service out there

MSN is much bigger here in Belgium (and I think Europe also). Most people don't know wha AIM is. We all HAVE to use MSN Messenger (I, use Proteus, and switch sometimes to Messenger)

You cannot simply say to whole Europe: Stop using MSN Service and switch to AIM now!! Cause I don't want to use MSN-apps, but iChat!

And i think it's time for Apple to go further than the USA only. There's a big market in Europe also.... :(

no, bolindilly, you are not the only one!

back when I used ClarisWorks at school and then used Microsoft Excel. I think Excel is the best spreadsheet I have ever used because it had more features then the spreadsheet in ClarisWorks had.

Microsoft's business practices maybe terrible but I think some of their stuff is decent

>>So all of a sudden, we are back in the 90's. >>Macs are viewed as incompatible systems

gnomo, it's called PDF/X. It's compatible with everything.

i dont wanna get of on a rant here, but:
honestly, i don't know if apple is positioning themselves in the correct manner to steal market share from microsoft. they have the "everything is easier on a mac" and the "switchers" campaigns, but they need something that explains to people that a computer is a computer, and files just need applications written that can read and write them. if they make a productivity suite, they gotta say not "it's a great program," but rather "it will make working with the pc world just as easy as owning a pc"

that's just my opinion, i could be wrong...

Originally posted by bolindilly
if they make a productivity suite, they gotta say not "it's a great program," but rather "it will make working with the pc world just as easy as owning a pc"

Shouldn't that be "It will make working with the PC world just as easy as using your mac."? ;)

i don't think so. apple's the underdog here. we might think they have better products, but they have to cater to the rest of the world because all other computer users already have their own systems. they need to sell on convenience and convince people that using a mac will not disable you in any way...

Originally posted by senne
you will always be forced to use Microsoft apps (exept for msn messenger, but then again, Proteus/Fire/... do not fully take advance of the MSN Service, f.e. they don't have filesharing)

I hope Apple will implement MSN Messenger Service in iChat! That would be great. But will microsoft allow this? No.
Then there's still .wmv. No way microsoft allows apple to put the .wmv-technology in QT!

It's important for apple to keep in buissiness with MicroSoft

I'm not forced to use anything Microsoft. I do use a couple products (Office) at work, but I could very easily find alternatives if I wanted to. In my case it's just easier to let them buy me software to work with. I hope Apple does not implement MSN services in iChat. The relationship between Apple and M$ is important to both companies, but I don't think it is at all vital, nor do I think that losing some of their M$ products would kill Apple. It's great to see Apple showing M$ the "gun"...

Originally posted by evildan
And in regards to AppleWorks. There seems to be a negative association with AppleWorks. A lot of my friends remember that application and shy away from current releases. I think software has the ability to become, dated, simply by name. Take Page Maker for example. Adobe all but changed the entire program, and it still didn't do as well as expected. AppleWorks, reminds me of the old, dated applications in the 80's. Apple has come a long way, I think they should drop the application name, if even to just repackage it and rename it as a possible MS Word rival. (IMHO).

I don't have any direct experience with people thinking this about AppleWorks. Personally I find it to be perfectly sufficient for all of my personal and freelance needs. I do find it more convenient to use Word at work, but that is because of my co-workers who use it and do all kinds of stupid crap that AppleWorks doesn't like. I would really appreciate an update to AppleWorks, whether it is called that or not.

Guys, remember MS/Apple contract just expired last summer. Apple is free to innovate and compete with MS and anyone else.. MS won't bully Apple anymore.. hence the reason why Keynotes came out! Keynotes is answer to Powerpoint. Jobs has been using Keynotes in some of his keynotes since X came out. Yes Appleworks is next to be revamped. Although Appleworks does have presenation module. so when it is revamped then it can compete with MS Office. I dumped MS Office 2001 and use Appleworks exclusively to open ms doc and excel and others.. OpenOffice is coming out soon.. I'll be glad to use OOffice when it is cocoazied. What if Apple decide to adopt OpenOffice as iOffice hmm?

Right now MSN Messenger is lagging behind.. they haven't updated since lately.. while AIM and ICQ are updated from time to time. I look forward to iChat 2.0 in upcoming 10.2.4 if not then 10.3! (I bet 10.3 will be another paid upgrade! be prepared! save your $$ for that upgrade! )

I look forward to ditch Adobe Acrobat Reader and use Preview exclusively! I know new updated Preview is in work that does more than it do now. like ability to click the link in pdf and search!

looks like I am ranting and going off topic a bit.. so I better stop!

I have something to say for those who believe that it would be a mistake for Apple to compete M$' Office products.
I think that Apple is not even going to lose credibility if M$ discontinues Office:mac.

So read that:

- Remember that anyway there is an Office suite for Mac OS X that is released and whatever happens it is losing money for MS to even stop selling it.
- There will be a next version of Office from Microsoft, it's on the works, it's been confirmed by Microsoft. My sources even claim other big projects and that will maybe be the subject of one of my future articles.
- OpenOffice will probably be finalized for the Mac one day or another and expect that Mac port to be higher quality software than other big open sourced projects ported to Mac like Mozilla.
- OpenOffice helps Linux to gain credibility so why wouldn't it (and Apple's future office suite) help Apple to gain credibility?
- If you think that Apple's future competing Office is not credible then it means there will always remain a market for MS Office:mac and M$ is not the kind of companies who take decisions that make them lose money and market share.

Back