IP Configuration problems

macbookproipod

Registered
I tried asking a tech but I'm not sure my message went through. Even if it did, I'd like any help on the matter. Thanks for your time!

My MacBook Pro tells me
"IP Configuration
99.27.16.197 in use by 00:25:4b:06:b3:56"

My PC tells me that the IP address conflicts with another system, or something along that line.

I'm trying to connect to the internet using an Airport Express.

I can connect to the internet directly via Ethernet using either my PC or my MacBook.

My MacBook can connect wirelessly outside of my home, i.e. library, starbucks, dorm (where both my roomate and I were able to connect using the very same airport). I'm now at home with my airport. My PC and my Macbook seem to have IP issues.

Please, what can I do?

That IP configuration message is telling you that you have another Mac that is using the same IP address as the one that you are trying to use. The PC, of course, gives you a similar message.
You can't use the same IP address with two or more devices on the same network.
Don't try to enter that same IP address on other computers, but change the settings so your Mac uses the DHCP that your router should supply (and not a static IP, or DHCP with manual address). Then, your router will supply the different IP addresses automatically.
You would do the same with your PC - change to DHCP.
This will fix it, unless your ISP restricts you to a single IP address, and doesn't allow sharing your internet connection.
You said that you have an Airport Express. That's actually your router. What supplies your internet connection ? (cable modem, DSL modem, etc?)

I did that. Now it works most of the time. My Macbook usually tells me no IP address assigned, it takes some playing with to get it to work, I turn off and on the airport, play with the assistant or diagnostic features on the network window. I use a DSL modem. My Ipod was able to connect to the internet immediately after fixing the wifi but now it can't. Is there anyway to trouble shoot that or maybe figure out why it takes a lot of time and error messages similar to the original to find an IP address?

If you are still having problems connecting from several devices, then your router (Airport Express) may be the culprit. Try a full reset,
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3728
and set that up again through your Airport Utility.
Just let the simple setup complete. With your simple setup (DSL modem, using Airport Express to provide a wireless connection to a variety of devices), the default setup, with no changes other than setting up your wireless security. should work well.

The problem was that my airport was in bridge mode. I had to switch over to sharing a public IP address. I don't have any problems anymore with my macbook or ipod. Thanks for all your help!

Back