Machine Model: PowerBook5,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3

Question is can i upgrade to a 10.5 online or with a CD..will my machine take it ..or do i have to replace my machine with a newer 10.5 enabled one or more realisticaly do i just return the phone?

Your PowerBook will run 10.5 just fine. You would need to find an installer set for that. Be sure to purchase the commercial installer set, which has black DVD with a big "X" across the label.

The one you want is the one called the "Retail" version. The other one, which you don't want, is the one that came with a computer (and the grey label on the CDs).

Hi Fryke,or anybody out there for that matter,
I have been pointed to this website and advised to download this torrent,would you advise the same and would it work for my requirements,i.e. upgrading tiger 10.4 to leopard 10.5

http://www.alivetorrents.com/torrent/5186089/mac-os-x-10-5-install-dvd

Do these things work cos I am really a virgin when it comes to all this stuff? It has proved kinda difficult finding the retail version of the mac osx 10.5 at a reasonable price.

Hi Fryke,or anybody out there for that matter,
I have been pointed to this website and advised to download this torrent,...

Do these things work cos I am really a virgin when it comes to all this stuff? ...
This site does not permit the discussion of pirated software. However, I believe that it is permissible to advise you that it is an incredibly bad idea to install a pirated version of an OS on your computer. Locate a legitimate retail copy of MacOS X 10.5.

Go and sin no more.

Thanks for this MisterMe,
This all looked above board to me with payment by credit/debit card to access the site.
I am now trying to locate a legitimate retail copy of MacOS X 10.5. through ebay,amazon,CEX,etc.
Do you have any pointers as to where i might find one other than the sources i have mentioned above.I would like to compare and contrast as much as possible as my money is a bit too tight to mention at the moment.
Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated,
I thank you in anticipation,

There is no appearance of legitimacy for a site that provides torrents of .iso image files of commercial software distribution discs. As amazing as it may seem, there are local hole-in-the-wall shops that specialize in Macs. You might check around for one of them in your area that has an unsold retail copy of MacOS X 10.5.

Back