iPhone and the SIM card

cyprus mac man

Expert Macintosh...er
Hey everyone,

I was ready to get an iPhone when I saw an article online saying that the iPhone did not have a removeable SIM card. I was looking forward to it so I could bring it to the UK, Italy, Cyprus, Turkey, etc. and NOT pay the high price that AT&T charges for International Roaming. Anyway, I did not get one. I talked to a certified Apple reseller and a tech at 1-800-MY-APPLE, and they both said it does not have a removeable SIM card. Now I check online and I find TONS of sites saying both Yes and No. So what is it? Does it really have a slot at the top? Any news would be great. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=319617 is one of these many, many sites

Thanks

Cyprus Mac Man

The iPhone uses a SIM card, just like any other cellular/digital phone; however, the iPhone is somehow (either hardware or software) locked into the AT&T network.

This information has been known since the iPhone was announced. It was always well-known and widely-published that the iPhone would ONLY work with Cingular/AT&T.

Now I see that Apple tells you how to remove the SIM card on the iPhone and it even says that it can be used in other GSM phone. But does that mean that the iPhone is still "locked"? If so, it would require the "unlock" code from AT&T. Then I could use it with any other SIM card. Right?

Cyprus Mac Man

As far as I know, it's not the SIM card that's locked -- it's the iPhone itself that's locked, either by a software or hardware mechanism.

I highly doubt that AT&T would be willing to help you "unlock" the phone for use in another country and/or with a different carrier.

Rumor has it that India and other countries that aren't currently in iPhone-usable areas are receiving an illegitimate shipment of iPhones intended to be "unlocked."

They can legally lock it, but it's not illegal to unlock it. It's just up to you to figure out how to unlock it. T-Mobile will tell you how to unlock their phones if you call them, I don't think ATT will.

They can legally lock it, but it's not illegal to unlock it. It's just up to you to figure out how to unlock it. T-Mobile will tell you how to unlock their phones if you call them, I don't think ATT will.

Even if you could get it unlocked would any of the other carriers let you add the Iphone to you account?

Yeah, I searched on the Internet and found that unlock codes are in the making. And I also heard that India is in the process of making a code. Also, a pedition in being made for Steve Jobs to ask for him to sell unlocked iPhones. Hope this is all over soon so I can get my iPhone quick.

Cyprus Mac Man

I doubt ATT would allow Apple to unlock the phones. If it were unlocked, everything but visual voicemail would work with T-Mobile. It will not work with Verizon or Sprint since they use a different type of network.

This was posted from my shiny new iPhone. :)

Yeah, I searched on the Internet and found that unlock codes are in the making. And I also heard that India is in the process of making a code. Also, a pedition in being made for Steve Jobs to ask for him to sell unlocked iPhones. Hope this is all over soon so I can get my iPhone quick.

Cyprus Mac Man

from all reports, Apple had to make some solid promises to AT&T in order to get everything they were asking for. Apple managed to get AT&T to keep the rates low, implement a radical change to the voice mail system, and partner with them before they even had a prototype. They are locked in for 5 years, and I highly doubt any amount of petitions will change that.

still , there will surely be unlocked phones floating around, just not from apple; and expect to pay $1000 or more

Back