Iphone / apple tv don't show in Itunes

Macferna

Registered
Dear tech-support,
I am using a FON router connected to my DSL router in order to have wifi at home. So far I can access the internet on both my iPhone and just recently purchased Apple TV without any problem.
However I can't seem to getting these devices to show up in the iTunes "devices" list in order to be able to use the application "remote" with the iPhone and in order to synchronize the iTunes library to my Apple TV?

I have tried everything visible on the apple support pages and other things found via google too but it is not working.

Is there a possibility that I need to forward some ports from my DSL Router to the Fon router (officially called La Fonera) and then also configure the FON Router?
An additional problem that I am having and am in contact about with FON Support is that I can't seem to acces the management console of the Fonera. I get stuck at entering username and password (admin, admin) but the pop up window keeps returning to enter usern. and passw.

Can someone help?

Thanks in advance,
Fernando

I'm not sure you're doing this in the right order. If the Mac (or PC) and AppleTV are in the same network, you can add the AppleTV to your devices. (See preferences both on iTunes and on AppleTV.)

The iPhone's Remote applications is merely there to control AppleTV (and/or iTunes on the Mac/PC). But the AppleTV doesn't synch to the iPhone or anything.

Hi Fryke,

Thanks for your reply. So it looks like my mac and the Apple tv are not in the same network as I can't get it to show in the devices? I did check preferences in iTunes and checked the box "look for Apple TV's".
How do I get both in the same network then? I am very 'green' in networking issues sorry... Please also remember that I have my fonera router, connected to my ADSL router which might complicate things...

If you've set iTunes to look for AppleTVs, set your AppleTV to show up on the computer. It has a menu for it somewhere in the Settings... If both the AppleTV and the computer are connected to the same fonera router (dunno what that is exactly), then they're definitely in the same network.

Always bookmark apple's document "Well Known" TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products when worrying about ports that Apple uses.

Plus yes for Apple Sharing and iTunes store do need to be in the same subnet (IP local range) to work. The Sharing is for the obvious logical limitation to protect one's data from the big bad world and the iTunes sharing is because of the RIAA & MPAA.

Now open ports on a router is different for each router brand. So always include the router specs & firmware when asking how to open ports on that brand. The routers manual (included in each router retail box) is one's best bet to how to open ports on the router's firewall.

Back