iPhoto 4.0.3 problems

whougonacall

Registered
Hi, I recently upgraded iphoto and things seemed fine but now when I launch the programme it just says loading pictures, but no pictures appear. Before i would simply connect my Digital Still Camera (Sony Cyber Shot) and iphoto would launch and let me import my pics.

I few threads down some one has had problems with some of there software after upgrading to osx 10.3.6 I have recently ugraded my OS, so maybe it's effecting my iphoto?

Well, do you force-quit it when it's trying to update its library to be compatible with 4.0.3? Because you maybe should just let it do its thing the first time. On second start, things are back to usual... At least that's how I had it with recent iPhoto updates... Or would it keep updating for, say, days? If so, your library is probably corrupt and you might want to get the photos out of the way, start iPhoto again and then reimport the pix... (Although that's certainly a drag...)

Left iphoto running all night, it's still loading pictures I guess I have to 'start it again' whats the easiest wasy to start iphoto again from scratch?

Ahhh i got it working now, in finder I went to my pictures folder and removed a file names AlbumData.xml I think this is linked to adobe CS which I recently installed. So sorry for blaming the update OSX 10.3.6, I do apologise it wasn't you after all.

AlbumData.xml is related to iPhoto, not Adobe CS.

The first time you upgrade to 4.0.3, iPhoto must update your photo library to be compatible with the new album format. Depending on how many photos you have, this could take an upwards of 30 minutes to an hour and shouldn't be interrupted.

For future reference, there are a lot of "updating" procedures in OS X that should not be interrupted under any circumstances. The "optimization" process at the end of a software install is one of those (in addition to the iPhoto library updating procedure), and can take more than 30 minutes depending on how many files you have on your boot drive and the number of files installed by the installer. Interrupting these processes can have negative effects on your OS X installation. While they may seem to "hang" or get stuck, more than likely they're not hanging or stuck (the progress bar may not move for many minutes) -- rather, just taking their time completing. This is completely normal.

Don't upgrade your system during a rainstorm, don't upgrade a laptop while on battery power, don't interrupt system processes even if they appear stuck, and make sure your computer doesn't go to sleep during these processes (turn off sleep in the energy saver). It's better to be patient and wait an hour or two rather than interrupt the process and be stuck with a completely unusable system, requiring much more than an hour or two to reinstall.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
AlbumData.xml is related to iPhoto, not Adobe CS.

The first time you upgrade to 4.0.3, iPhoto must update your photo library to be compatible with the new album format. Depending on how many photos you have, this could take an upwards of 30 minutes to an hour and shouldn't be interrupted.

For future reference, there are a lot of "updating" procedures in OS X that should not be interrupted under any circumstances. The "optimization" process at the end of a software install is one of those (in addition to the iPhoto library updating procedure), and can take more than 30 minutes depending on how many files you have on your boot drive and the number of files installed by the installer. Interrupting these processes can have negative effects on your OS X installation. While they may seem to "hang" or get stuck, more than likely they're not hanging or stuck (the progress bar may not move for many minutes) -- rather, just taking their time completing. This is completely normal.

Don't upgrade your system during a rainstorm, don't upgrade a laptop while on battery power, don't interrupt system processes even if they appear stuck, and make sure your computer doesn't go to sleep during these processes (turn off sleep in the energy saver). It's better to be patient and wait an hour or two rather than interrupt the process and be stuck with a completely unusable system, requiring much more than an hour or two to reinstall.

On my system AlbumData.xml seems to be Adobe CS 'cos when I click on this file it opens Illustraitor. And as for not interupting iphoto, when I first upgraded it saughted all the pics out probably took about 10 mins. I photo 4.0.3 was working fine until i installed Adobe CS.

AlbumData.xml will open in the default application that it's assigned to -- and the assignments aren't perfect. For example, my .ps files wanna open in Illustrator, yet I want them to open with Preview... that doesn't mean that .ps files are exclusive to Illustrator, though.

Adobe CS will not install anything inside of the "iPhoto Library" folder. It's not a CS-related file.

It's possible that somehow your AlbumData.xml file got corrupted, and that's why iPhoto was hanging on launch. Deleting the file was the right thing to do, as iPhoto just builds a new one if it finds it's not there.

Glad that got it working again.

Back