iPhoto and Aperture Library use confusion

mwebster51

Registered
I am brand new to Mac and ended up with iPhoto and Aperture on my Macbook Pro. There are two library folders, one for the iPhoto and one for the Aperture. I have a lot of photos, do I need to keep them in both folders. Seems redundant. Should I decide on just one of these programs and remove the other? Do you keep the photos in one of the libraries and pull from either program?
Thanks
Mark

It all depends on what you intend to do with the photos, and if you're a professional photographer or amateur photo organizer.

If professional, and you need the ability to retouch and enhance photos beyond what iPhoto offers, then you more than likely need Aperture.

If amateur, and your only needs are organizing, light retouching, and making slick-looking books, calendars and printouts, then you more than likely need nothing more than iPhoto.

Each program maintains its own library database, so I don't think it's possible to "share" libraries across the programs... although I do know that Aperture can import iPhoto's database in the case that you need to migrate photos from iPhoto to Aperture.

Back