iPhoto sync sucks

Birdbird

Registered
Is it just me or is there no way to turn off the iPhoto to iPod sync. In iTunes you can change to manual transfer but I cant find a way to do this with iPhoto 5. My iPod is bigger than my HD and I deleted photos. Now I'm scared to plug back in and lose my iPod copies too.

You control the iPhoto-to-iPod sync'ing in iTunes' preferences. You can set it to automatically sync all your photo albums, some of your photo albums, or none of your photo albums.

Kind of hard to get the grasp of, but you use iTunes exclusively to sync with the iPod -- even for photos, calendars and contacts. A little backward, but it's all in one place in iTunes.

I think I have that worked out as far as I can. And yes, its a little backwards. The problem is that you can sync in itunes preferences to choose certain folders only but when it updates it removes any files from the ipod that aren't in those folders. If those folders are deleted from the HD then they are also taken from my ipod and therefore lost to me.

There is a posibility that they put those photos in th trash in iphotos but I'm not ready to take that gamble.

It'd definitely delete the photos. You should be able to see the files with a tool that lets you see invisible directories (the Terminal, for example) when you mount the iPod. This should let you copy the stuff to a safe place. However: How to make the iPod mount without iTunes starting synchronisation? ...

If you have iTunes setup to launch when your iPod connects, there's not a lot you can do, except for quit iTunes when you see it opening (or use Terminal "killall iTunes" to do it faster).

Just quit iTunes before you connect your iPod and watch for it to open, then kill it asap.

Can't you set iTunes to update the iPod manually. Then plug in the iPod without the worry of automatic sync'ing?

I just retrieved all the songs from a friend's iPod this weekend (she deliberately but unintentionally erased her home drive on a PC). All I did was change my own iTunes preferences to manual and there was no attempt to "erase" her iPod.

you should never rely on the ipod as a backup. it was never designed that way. all it does is mirror what you have on your hardrive. the question is, why did you delete the main copies in the first place?

Gotta agree with Lt. Major Burns here -- if you're going to use the iPod to back up files that you no longer intend to keep on your hard drive, then copy the files to the iPod in disk mode -- do NOT "sync" them to the iPod. Using the "sync" function of iTunes and the iPod to back stuff up (or to keep only one copy of a file on the iPod) is extremely counter-intuitive, and will lead only to frustration if you try and use it this way, since iTunes was not designed to support this kind of behavior. If you use the iPod the way it was intended, life would be much easier and less frustrating! ;)

The iPod is meant to be synchronized to the music/photos/data on your computer, not as a storage device with which to store the data so you can remove it from your hard drive. "Synchronization" implies that the data be in two distinct places -- on your computer AND on the iPod.

The reason why I'm deleting from my HD is that it's only 10Gb. I'm only in Japan for a while so rather than get a small and expensive external HD or a larger cheaper one that I'd have to carry back to Australia, I opted for the iPod as backup drive option as it's really only photo's and music I need to store right now. Besides I got a store display 60Gb photo for $200 after christmas. Who could say no?

So I want to blame Mac for two things. One; not being able to change iPod preferences unless the ipod is plugged in and two; not giving the same sync options in iPhoto as they do in iTunes. Touche.

Why not just copy the photos (or the entire iPhoto folder) into the root directory on the iPod mounted in Disk mode? That way, it doesn't matter what iTunes syncs -- it won't touch photos simply copied to the iPod's hard drive.

Of course, this means you can't view the photos using the iPod, but if you're looking for a backup solution, the iPod acts as an external hard drive quite well.

Saying that I have learnt my lesson and will be saving all my files on the ipod as files. Besides, the screen is too small to view them properly and from what I've gathered on this site the quality is reduced in the iphoto transfer.

So yes, now i know the intended purpose it's another program for photos (think I'll try iview media pro) and iphotos for happy snaps only. My HD is fast filling with programs just to manage the storage of my files. Oh, the irony.

Thanks for all your help, snide ribbings and all.

I'd also say you don't have to ditch iPhoto because of it. Unless you really hate it, that is. I find it's still very useful for storing my photos over time...

It definitely has it's good points and as I've worked out my frustration in the course of this thread I've can see it in a kinder light. But its also kinda limited. A guy called Rick Neil has made this "iPhoto Buddy" companion to iphoto that lets you arrange photos into folders. I'll give that a go but I'm sure there is something better out there.

I'm glad I didn't spend the 90 bucks or so on a kosher version. Pretty rude for a start not including a necessary program in a $500 package, I think.

I dont know if anyone else has noticed that the supplied iPod case also does real damage to the duco on your machine. Mine is only one week old and already the quality of viewing photos is noticeably reduced. I went into the Mac store in Shibuya today and after talking to one guy, who admittedly didn't speak much English but denied any mac responsibility, another guy instantly offered me a replacement one on the spot. Which of course I couldn't do because it was loaded with files now thanks to this forum ;) But he said bring it back in any time and the offer stands. Guess you paying for the service too eh? I just gotta find a suitable new case before I make the switch.

some people have computers with hard drives smaller than the newest ipods.
also, some people partition their hard drives for various reasons.
if steve jobs didn't have a tumor growing out of the side of his head, maybe he would design a product that would allow one to sync from a c.d. (another storage option).
or to continually add to your ipod's photo library rather than replacing it every goddamned time.
though, it IS apple policy just to throw everything out and replace it with something new(refurbished with a clean case) rather than actually figure out what's wrong and fix it.
in fact, apple replicates most of america's view on things.
if it breaks or falters, just chuck it out and get a new one.
don't try to fix it or understand the issue.
i hope someone creates a shareware or freeware program that overrides the stupidity of apple, as has been done for so many other applications.
and i wish you guys would stop being sheep and take your cue from the guy who questions things rather than tell him shit he already knows.
assholes.

Back