iPhoto troubles in Tiger 10.4.0

firestorm_westy

Registered
Hi... I installed Tiger on Friday. No problems, set-up Mail, impressed with Safari, Dashboard etc.

Today I started working with iPhoto (5.02) - It imports photos fine, but then, when you adjust them and click 'Done' they are massively over-exposed.

Once yo edit 3 photos, iPhoto crashes (everytime).

I have re-installed Tiger, and iLife, but the problem is still there.

All permissions are showing as being fine.

Is anyone using Tiger and iLife '05 without problems?

If I had the choice of iPhoto or Tiger, I would have stuck with iPhoto!

Any help and/or advice please would be great.

Thanks

I'm using iPhoto 5.0.2 without problems on Tiger. But other than that, I don't think I can be of much help here... Can you create a different user and see if it happens there also?

Have tried with a new user, still get the same problem... I am on a 20" iMAC 1.25 G4. Who do I need to speak to at Apple to get the support I need?

Did you do an upgrade or new installation? I wiped my harddrive and did a clean install, and I have no problems with iPhoto and the other apps.

No, I installed over 10.3. Could this be the problem?

Also, since the Upgrade, my Mac won't restart. It closes everything down, and then sits with a desktop image, and a mouse pointer (which I can move).

How easy is it to scrap everything and start again? I do have a .mac account for backing stuff up, and a small, external drive.

Thanks

I think so. I was always told never to do upgrades from one major version to the next better major version. So I backup all my stuff on my external drive, wiped my HD and did a clean install of Tiger. So far I have no problems.

It certainly _sounds_ like the problem could stem from that. If you *can*, I'd first try to clean install Tiger to that small FW drive of yours. To save space, don't install any secondary languages and only install iPhoto from the iLife suite. Then just try what you did in iPhoto in your _real_ installation of Tiger and see if it works fine. If it _does_ work fine (which I assume), you should back things up (CDs, DVDs, FW drive, .mac - just make sure what you'll need is backed up), unmount and disconnect the FW drive and install Tiger as clean as possible. I.e.: FORMAT the drive, and customize the installation so that only those languages and apps are installed that you intend to use. Then reinstall your applications (don't just drag them over) and get your files etc. back from your backups. If you can, do NOT copy over settings/preferences, because that's what probably got iPhoto to act up in the first place.

Just one things though, how do I get the Mac to boot from the FW drive? Is it just the same as the CD, i.e. hold down 'C'?

Also, did I mention that my Mac will neither shut down, or reboot from the Apple menu anymore? - It closes all apps, and the Dock, but then just sits... I have to power off manually.

When I restart, I get 3 'Recovered files' folders in my waste basket - All files are called iChat widget?!

Any ideas?

Thanks.

You can either just start the installation program from the DVD, then it'll set the startup volume for you to the DVD, or you can hold down the option key at startup to get a list of bootable devices and select the DVD there.

Oh.

Question: WHERE IS IPHOTO!?! I cant find it on the Tiger DVD anywhere and it didnt install it and I used iPhoto a lot! How can I fix this? Is it buried on the DVD? I know they include it with iLife but I dont have iLife and dont feel like buying it...help!

iPhoto is only included with the iLife '05 software bundle -- it is not included with Mac OS X Tiger.

The only iLife application that is included with Tiger is iTunes.

Been running more tests today, and now find that Pages (iWork) can't read the iPhoto library anymore... It tells me that I need to open iPhoto 2 or above to use it.

I open iPhoto, and still can't access the pictures from Pages.

Anyone else having similar problems? - Or even anyone NOT having a problem with iPhoto+Pages+Tiger combo?

Thanks

I'm almost sorry to say it, but Pages finds my iPhoto library and can use it. No problems...

Here is my Tiger story - maybe it will help someone

The product Superduper! (by Shirt Pocket) saved my iLife...

I wanted to upgrade from 10.2.8 to Tiger on my iMac G4. After many tries, I finally figured out that my disk had come bad/corrupted files. I wanted to instal via Archive-install and retain my apps and settings, but according to Apple this would be impossible without fixing the corruption. The only was to do this, according to them, was to back up and perform a clean install (erase and install). But, also according to them, I could not simply re-copy my backup back to the hard drive as I might be copying the corrupted files back into the hard drive. I have a firewire external drive but wasn't sure the backup would be bootable .

Anyway, I tried to repair the problem with disk utility, no go. Tried Applejack (said disk repaired but still could not install Tiger). Checked and repaired preferences, etc. Was about to try Disk Warrior or TechPro plus when I found SuperDuper.

Superduper clones your drive, so you can store your files safely, erase the bad volume, and then replace your files. In my case, I performed a full boootable backup of my hard drive to my external drive. Then I installed Tiger onto the external volume. I chose that external drive as my startup volume and went to work testing files and applications etc, until I felt comfortable that all was well. The I erased my hard drive with apple disk utility, and copied everything back to my hard drive, with the new os installed. After safely shutting down, I disconnected my external drive to prevent any problems, and rebooted my machine, which then defaulted to the correct startup volume which was my newly repaired and os-upgraded hard drive. Everything, and I mean everything, seems to be working fine. All music, photos, mail, and preferences (including settings etc.,) were retained correctly and are up and working.

If you have any issues at all, SUPERDUPER is the way to go if you have an external storage method.

BTW - the support at Shirt Pocket was exemplary. Dave N. (the owner of the product) returned all of my emails immediately and walked me through this process. I am no power user, and I was very nervous about erasing my hard drive, but he walked me through it and all went VERY well.

Surely this beats a clean install of a new OS, having to reinstall all my apps and settings, and hoping that the new OS would work.

Carbon Copy Cloner does the same for free. Also: You sure you're in the right thread? This and your Disclaimer make it even MORE sound like an ad. I hope CCC did away with _that_. ;)

I got iPhoto to rebuild the database, and now it works with Pages... Still same problem with adjusting images, and crashing after 3 edits though.

Fryke: The guy at SuperDuper really helped me out--way beyond the call of duty, which is more than I can say about many of the big software vendors out there. Maybe I am not as mac-sophisticated as you but I appreciate good support when I can get it. It did everything I needed for free, and I was very happy with the outcome so I bought the $20 license

If I am in the wrong thread, pardon me... but it seemed that a lot of people in this thread were losing their iLife apps and I was terrified of losing mine in the clean install, as I have lots of photos, music, and movies. Anyway, if Cocktail does that, then users now have two options. (http://www.macosxcocktail.com/index.html)

FYI Cocktail is downloadable as a demo for free... but licenses can be purchased, just as with Superduper.

kgc

I too lost an hour's work on a slideshow because iPhoto crashed under Tiger. What seems incredible to me--and maybe someone can enlighten me--is that you cannot Save in iPhoto! By trial and error, I see to get it to save by quitting the program. So after the crash, and being unable to Save periodocally while working, I kept having to Quit and then reopen the program every few minutes in order not to lose any more work in case of another crash. Any insights, anybody?

Back