iPod 2 Speculation

bjurusik

Registered
I don't know much about Bluetooth, but would it support the bandwidth to transfer songs from iPod to Mac? Also, what about Bluetooth headphones? I think that would be a great idea, and something that Apple would likely do. I wonder how much it would drain the battery of both the iPod and the headphones.

Bluetooth headphones would be really cool... Also does anyone think it would be feasible for an fm radio to get built into the machine? I think the hardest part would be getting an antenna to pick up the signals... But that would be one phenomonal music player (40g HD/FM tuner!)

Bluetooth headphones are definitely a great idea!

But for me the ultimate iPod 2 would allow me to download my pictures from my digital camera so that i dont have to buy 20 memory-sticks! The space is available so it would be great for people that have a passion for both music and digital photography. Come on Apple....you know its a good idea:D

I really do not see a place for am/fm tuner for the ipod. I think something more suitable would be to make it XM or SIRIUS compatible. Now imagine that? I don't think there is a portable player yet that is satelite radio compatible. This would be a great idea.

Or I was thinking a small feature would be to include a small microphone so it could be used as a personal recording device for business type applications.

If Apple could get the license for XM or SIRIUS that would be so awesome. Streaming high quality tunes from satelite radio 24/hours a day from where ever you are! Here is my proposal :)

"Introducing iPod 2. The first portable music player with satelite radio. Welcome to the Apple music generation.

Introducing the new Apple Wireless Studio Headphones available for the 20 gb model and the new Apple car interface adapter. (Apple car interface adapter requires any fm/am car radio for use)

5 gb iPod also available for low price. "

$199
(5 gb 1,000 Songs)
2.4 x 4.0 x .78 in
Apple Earphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
Wired Remote
Carrying case
Internal Microphone for personal recording

$299
(10 gb 3,000 Songs)
6.5 oz
2.4 x 4.0 x .72 in
Apple Earphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
Wired Remote
Carrying case
Apple car interface adapter

$529
(20 gb 4,000 Songs)
6.5 oz
2.4 x 4.0 x .84 in
XM Satelite Radio ready (XM subscription rates apply)
Apple Wireless Studio Headphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
Wired remote
Carrying case

Uh. Hello. Steve has said iPod is NOT going to become a PDA/etc. As for either AM/FM or "Satelite" radio. Have you never heard of a walkman? They're like 15 years old and seem to have been able to pick up radio broadcasts for some odd reason. Oh that's right. Because THEY'RE NOT AN MP3 PLAYER!
As for Satelite. I've never heard of it, but most things working from a satelite need a fairly sophisticated "antenna" for want of another word, to get a good signal. And as for subscription rates..And the whole car-adaptor thing... Please.

Maybe an FM/AM receiver built into the Remote Control (with a display, so you can see your song playing on the remote)! Sony has such remotes, really cool

This is what it is up against, the Archos Multimedia Jukebox (€ 470,-):

icon1.jpg

Originally posted by Pengu
Uh. Hello. Steve has said iPod is NOT going to become a PDA/etc. As for either AM/FM or "Satelite" radio. Have you never heard of a walkman? They're like 15 years old and seem to have been able to pick up radio broadcasts for some odd reason. Oh that's right. Because THEY'RE NOT AN MP3 PLAYER!
As for Satelite. I've never heard of it, but most things working from a satelite need a fairly sophisticated "antenna" for want of another word, to get a good signal. And as for subscription rates..And the whole car-adaptor thing... Please.

Actually, the cool thing about a Walkman is that it can play tapes or listen to the radio. The technology is closer to 20 years old and I think that would be a damn neat feature. What is an MP3 player? An update on the Walkman idea.

Pengu, XM Radio, AKA satellite radio, is wonderful in concept. 100+ streams of music and conversation. It doesn't require a huge antenna and the subscription rate is fairly reasonable.

Many car radio manufacturers already have adapters available to allow you to plug in an external source such as a CD player or an MP3 player. They run between $20-100, depending on how much Kenwood (cheap) or Pioneer (expensive) choose to charge.

For a few years, I had been using a Creative mp3 player. Small, durable and reliable. It had an FM tuner (used earphone cord as external antenna) and it had an external microphone which was quite helpful.
These days, my iPod is great but I use my Tungsten more for practical things. And its voice memo function is wonderful as is the ability to import quality color photos (and even video clips).

So I'd suggest a voice memo function, ability to import digital photos (which would mean color not greyscale), Bluetooth headphones and a built-in FM receiver/transceiver. You could pick up FM signals, but more importantly, you could transmit the iPod data to a radio.

I have a small portable add-on receiver now and it's great for using in a car radio, or at work when I don't want headphones on and am stuck using the company's peecee. Just plug the small fm thingie into the iPod earphone jack and transmit directly to my radio.

I would think that's doable without sacrificing size or additional weight or too much extra cost.

Originally posted by Pengu

First of all bud take it easy and not take it personal. I never said that is WHAT is going to happen. Just ideas.

I think radio would be wrong. Satelite radio would be cool. Streaming high quality music would be great. It could take the iPod to be MORE then just an MP3 players. Its ideas thats all.

Why so condescending? People are all over trying to look for a car adapter. Why not include one? Some people like music in there cars and especially if you keep it all on this enormously expensive machine.

Guess what? XM radio and Sirus have subscription rates so i don't understand your qualms with that. Its something that would have to happen.

Lighten up.

Originally posted by Dime5150

$199
(5 gb 1,000 Songs)
2.4 x 4.0 x .78 in
Apple Earphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
Wired Remote
Carrying case

$299
(10 gb 3,000 Songs)
6.5 oz
2.4 x 4.0 x .72 in
Apple Earphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
Wired Remote
Carrying case

$529
(20 gb 4,000 Songs)
6.5 oz
2.4 x 4.0 x .84 in
XM Satelite Radio ready (XM subscription rates apply)
Apple Wireless Studio Headphones
AC Adapter
FireWire cable
Wired remote
Carrying case
Internal Microphone for personal recording [/B]

Dude, $529? I think the 20GB is too expensive now and you want to raise the price?

It should be $199, $299, and $399.

i have this tingling feeling the new ipod is coming very soon.
i wish i had money x_x

Bluetooth headphones would be cool, but does it support a high enough bitrate to get decent fidelity? I know they work for cellphones, but that's because the frequency range for voice is fairly narrow (and you can compress the heck out of it).

One other aspect of going BT is that then one could share their music with anyone else who had a BT headphones. Now that would be interesting.

Its also been said with confidence that apple will use 10, 20 and 40 gd hard drives in their new iPods. Toshiba manufactures them to the same size as the current iPod HD's, and just about every rumor site has backed that. 40gb... thats as big as my gd hd! Whats that, 8000 songs?

Originally posted by jocknerd
Dude, $529? I think the 20GB is too expensive now and you want to raise the price?

It should be $199, $299, and $399.

To ofset the price of XM compatibility.

Go see what the cheapest XM or SIRUIS compatible deck is. I think the licensing fees add up and are passed on.

I wouldn't want it either but i think it would be realistic.

I have just recently become convinced that an iPod would be a good investment. I love radio yet am rarely in the right place at the right time to listen to what I want to hear which includes NPR, BBC world service, diverse german talk radio shows, etc. Now, if I could record these and listen to them while I am riding my bike on the weekends, wow!!! I would be in heaven. Now I lug around a sony discman when I'm out riding, and to give it credit it never skips, the batteries last forever and it goes everywhere, but it only plays one disc at a time.

Personally I think Apple could capture a huge market if they were to market the iPod to those like me who want to listen to radio shows but on their own time.

Also, what would be cool would be a 4in by 6in screen so that I could load photos onto it and use it as a portable photo album.........

Anyway, my point is that a 40 gig harddrive is only the begginning. When I got my iMac I thought 13 gigs was unfillable.... hmmmm times change fast.

iPod II. Im gonna get one since my Girlfriend has overtaken my iPod I.

Steve said that he would'nt release a PDA But but did he say never?

Back