iPod 2 Speculation

I'll be cool if it has a removable battery so you can carry more than one, and maybe fibre optic lighting behind the buttons that run off the screen back-light.

But if it looks cool and plays music:p, I'm happy!

I hope it has smarter playlists. Ok so not the new iPod but the new software. I hate it when my top 10 list isn't really a top 10 on the iPod. It's the right 10 songs but not the right order. You see the order is determined by when the song was added. So if i make a Smart top 10 list today. 'Up' would be #1. Next week 'Up' may move down to #2 but iPod will still show it as the first song on the list. :(

Originally posted by mightyjlr
because most consumer digital cameras use USB and not firewire, it would allow you to store images from your camera on your ipod, giving you a camera with huge capacity

I'd rather not transfer gigs of data over a slow USB connection personally.

I don't know why everyone seems so obsessed with the idea of the iPod becoming more and more and more. Colour screen, USB for digital camera integration, this, that, etc... Apple has said any number of times that the iPod is a digital music player -- not a PDA, not a phone, and not a portable storage device for digital cameras. I expect that Apple will continue to improve the iPod, but I am sure that they will do so in order to make it a better music player. If they are going to sell a device that does more than that I am sure they will creates something new.

What about Airport connectivity? The new iPods could A) connect to an Airport-equipped Mac and download new tunes at broadband speeds, B) transmit tunes across an Airport network for all equipped computers to listen to, or C) both.

My opinions on the topics mentioned so far:

- AM/FM sounds like a great idea. The iPods are already easily portable collections of CD's, why not add radio to the mix?
- XM sounds like a good idea for the future. For one thing, it costs $10/month or so, and it's weighty to carry. If they can get it down (in mass & price), I'm sure it will become viable for the iPod.
- Digital pictures I'm not so sure about. I can see storing them, but viewing them? Sounds more like a PDA. I can see wanting everything integrated into one device, but not the iPod.
- Bluetooth headphones sounds like a cool idea, but in Bluetooth's current state it won't happen. Besides, Apple would have to make them the large headphones that work like a hair band instead of ear buds. Maybe in the future.
Originally posted by Excalibur
I'd rather not transfer gigs of data over a slow USB connection personally.
You wouldn't have to. People aren't suggesting replace the Firewire port with USB (rather, replace it with Firewire 800), but add a USB port to allow digital cameras to connect to it. However, this will increase the number of ports on a device with limited room for them, and Apple almost certainly won't do it.

IIRC those the speed of the iPod hard drive can't saturate the Firewire 400 for file transfer. So I would think that extra cost to add the Firewire 800 might not be good though.

I see your point on the USB, however we both agree there isn't enough room to add all these 'goodies' here and keep the same size and a lower price.

ok, lots of cool ideas, no doubt. But, lets look at what 1) fits into an ipod, and 2) goes along with Apple's plan (not that we know 100% what that really is anyway....)

The iPod is your Digital Music Solution.

So, its my feeling that we won't be seeing any digital camera hook ups, even though that would be cool (BTW, firewire is a host-to-host protocol, so it would be uber easy for apple to allow device hook up to that port, opening up a huge range of perifirls (sp?) for the iPod).

Satelite Radio is definately in the same nitch market. But, as an FCC licensed Radio Tech, I can tell you that its not at all going to happen. For one, that ipod is going to need a tuned antenna, and it can't be just lying on the table, or moving arround as digital music players do.

Digital FM and normal FM are posabilities, but I don't think they are going to happen. True, Radio Shack has a product that is specifically designed to compete with the iPod (see radioshack.com, type in '42-8050'). And yes, it does have recording for voice, and FM. I just don't know if thats right for something so... Pure.

Now, what does the iPod need, to just be a cooler iPod?

Now we're talkin. This is the question we must ask.

1) More audio output options. Bluetooth headphones aren't really that great. But, a 2.4ghz link or even 49mhz wireless headphone output might be neat. Kinda doubt it though.

But, I'd say an FM Modulator isn't out of the question. With that on board, you could set the iPod next to any normal FM Receiver, even an in-dash unit, and tune into your iPod. It would be a sure hit at parties - just bring your ipod, place it next to the dj booth, etc.

Optical I/O via the 1/8" head phone jack is very common in MiniDisc recorders, and the iPod is certainly used by people who have other optical gear. This would be used for playing tunes on larger systems with perfect clarity. Or, recording directly off a DAT drive, cd player, etc.

I think Apple will come up with one of the above ideas in due time - we need more than analog 1/8" output.

2) Recording. the iPod will definately have to impliment this one way or another, the question is, how.

a) The headphone jack could double as a stereo audio input jack, or the aformentioned optical i/o. Maybe both.

b) Small electrit built-in mic, for voice, and limited music use.

c) Radio. Once again, I doubt this, though it would no doubt be sweet. You have to remember the small size we're dealing with here.

3) Finally, what other options for getting sound into the iPod could we use?

Someone allready mentioned 802.11b (Airport). This is a great idea, as it certainly has the bandwidth and popularity. Being able to trade files with local iPod users would no doubt be cool. (the DMCA would just love that...) And being able to 'tune' into streaming audio would be sweet too.

But I feel the iPod is more geared towards high-class audio. Not streaming this and that, or kiddie file sharing.

The obvious enhancements will be in hard disk space, file accesss speed, software upgrade, etc.

Color screen, you say? Maybe. I doubt it, because the iPod has a very simple, refined appearance. Plus, its not at all needed.

Your comments?

I definitely agree that the iPod needs audio in. What's likely: a built-in, low-medium quality mic in the top or bottom for voice dictation, etc. What would be cool: a true audio-in port, so you could plug in a microphone and record music, speeches, etc. without the need of a computer. That would be awesome: record guitars, drums, horns, etc. on your iPod, then transfer them to the computer, storing all your AIFFs on the iPod!

AM and FM radio have been around for a hundred years, and XM is just taking off, so it's unlikely that an infant technology like XM will make its way into the iPod soon, but it would be very cool. I think the iPod should include a tuner, and with the microphone, you could record audio from the radio right in your iPod.

If the iPod were equipped with Airport, it could not only receive files from your computer, but also stream them across the network so everyone can listen to them. Apple already has measures in place to avoid bootlegging, so this could be a way to share without file sharing. However, I doubt it has room to fit an Airport antenna, so this is also unlikely.

Maybe Apple could add a feature like the 17" TiBook has, whereby the silk-screen buttons light up in low light. Then you could see in the dark what you are doing without having to know the buttons. And a color screen isn't necessary, but it should be plenty bright and have a backlight so you can see your playlist in the dark as well. I know these would take power, but that's the tradeoff.

I can't wait! I think ill go for an iPod when the new models are released, whenever that is. My friend is getting one pretty soon, and I can play with his until then! But an iPod with audio in, a mic and am/fm radio would be INCREDIBLE! Worth thousands of dollars if you ask me :b I would buy one in a second, and Im already getting all excited about it.

OK - streaming audio over Airport Extreme is very likely I think - and a huge selling-point.

Firewire 800 should only be introduced on the high-end high-capacity high-price iPod I think, since 400 is fast enough for most people.

PCMCIA card support would be something I would cry for - so you could BUY an Airport Extreme card, or a FireWire 800 card and insert it into near invisible slots at the bottom or something... I don't know about how feasible this would be, but if this fit into the machine comfortably, it's a HUGE plus. Think about it! USB cards for people without FW cards in their desktops! The possibilities then are endless; since you could use it in your laptop also.

Ooh, and some slim-arse speaker(s) that looked as nice as the rest of the system, and fit in with it. Laptop speakers are small, and iPod's wouldn't need to be stereo - just mono for listening dictated audio over.

So long as it doesn't fall into the trap of Sony's Clie, and adds plenty of extras at the expense of beauty, it'll rock.

Originally posted by texanpenguin
Think about it! USB cards for people without FW cards in their desktops! The possibilities then are endless; since you could use it in your laptop also.

Ooh, and some slim-arse speaker(s) that looked as nice as the rest of the system, and fit in with it. Laptop speakers are small, and iPod's wouldn't need to be stereo - just mono for listening dictated audio over.

The possibilities may be endless, but unfortunately, the space available isn't.

Think about it:

"Apple announces new iPod with x number of new features! Now even bulkier and thicker than before!!"

Considering the starting point of the 1.8" HD, there is definately no room for a PC card slot or speakers. Maybe as addon's, but then you have to make room for some sort of 'universal adapter port'.

but i still like the idea of iMiniPhoto and a usb port.. ;)

Back