iPod beta!

Nummi_G4

New Rhapsody User
I was looking through one of my old MacWorld Magazines, and I found this screenshot. It is from the OS X beta. What happened to this cool thing? Did iTunes replace it? and read the description... kinda freaky. sounds like MacWorld somehow knew the iPod was coming.... they just did not know it yet :)

Attachments

• ipod_beta.jpg
    ipod_beta.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 79
Yes, that's Music Player, our only option for native OS X audio playback for a while. It did MP3s, WAV, AIFF, and CDs. I have it, but it doesn't run under OS X 10.1.x. :(

iTunes replaced it, although it was still a neat little app.

I'm guessing that's what the iPod was originally going to look like, I'm sure they had ideas about the iPod back then... I never thought of linking the icon to a real device, though. Good catch :)

Note: see my user icon :D

So, any big code-guys wanna edit the Music Player to work with 10.1.x so I can try? I'd do it myself, but unfortunately I don't know squat about programming

YEAH! I would love to have that app. I do not need all of the options that are in iTunes anyway.. I never use the visual stuff. I just want a small, easy to use app that plays MP3s. I WANT THAT.!

It'd be great to have as an alternative to iTunes.. I wonder if Apple purpously broke it in later Mac OS X releases. Anybody know what a -2857 is and how to fix it? :D

I found a better picture.
MusicPlayer.jpg

Uh, why would you guys want to have that? iTunes does what Music Player and does it 100 times better.

I don't see the point of needing that software...

Yup, before iTunes, I tried out Audion, and I had that skin. It kicked ass. Agreed. Dang cute, compact, and cool.

So, I guess you could buy Audion, and then download that skin... but, now that you guys mention it, it would be cool if someone recoded it for Mac OS X 10.1.... perhaps someone should put a plea for this under the programming section?

Let's not make the Mac like windows where we have 500 different choices for a music application but only 1 or 2 of them are not crappy.

Seriously. Music Player sucked -- it was not NEARLY as versatile as iTunes, and I know that nobody here would want it if they were given the choice of iTunes and Music Player. Music Player was just something to allow people to play music on Mac OS X public beta until they carbonized iTunes.

If you want something small, just use iTunes. Look, this little window provides just about the same functionality, except no eject button:

Attachments

• itunesscreensnapz001.jpg
    itunesscreensnapz001.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 26
I don't see what's wrong with having a lot of choices, even if a lot of them do suck. At least we can use whatever suits our needs.

I'd like to type something into version tracker and get 20 results rather than 4 :D

Originally posted by simX
Seriously. Music Player sucked -- it was not NEARLY as versatile as iTunes, and I know that nobody here would want it if they were given the choice of iTunes and Music Player. Music Player was just something to allow people to play music on Mac OS X public beta until they carbonized iTunes.

Did you guys not read the above quote?

And, by the way: it's about GOOD choices, not crappy ones. Music Player should never be resurrected, because it didn't work very well and was not nearly as good as iTunes.

Sim, it doesn't matter if the choices are good or bad. Choices in general are good. period. If people want this then let them want this, nobody is saying you have to want it. Thank you for your time.

Back