iPod Color - Yay or Nay

Is the iPod Photo a good thing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

H2OSX

iKnow (sometimes)
The new Color/Photo iPod in my opinion was a mistake. I think its cool that you can now hove photos, and the screen is a good resolution, but i think not having it be able to do videos as well is a mistake. I most likely would have traded up for a video one, but just having photo makes no sense to me. The connection to your TV feature is cool too, but for small photos its going to look rly bad. I also think its not very useful because you cant put photos on it without your computer. Personally I'm waiting for a video one.

What do you guys think?
Hmmmmmmmmm-

i agree with you. if people want to have their photos with them, then they can carry their digital camera with them, which probably has a better screen anyway. while i think it might be nice to have a color screen, i dont think that this was a smart move on apples part.

I feel it's the first step to having a video iPod. You have to admit, even just having the screen in colour, photos or not, is a cool feature.

Having just bought the 4G iPod, I don't feel it's woth the jump, not enough new features, but still a great buy for someone on the look for a new iPod.

Yeah the U2 one looks cool, just because it's different. The engravings on the back are an awesome feature too.

ya, i agree with you guys that it is the first step, but I think they easily could have done video, and the U2 is a nice touch to the line.

OK everyone needs to stop voicing their negative opinions about Apple's iPods. Do you go around paying millions of dollars researching what people want? No. Maybe you yourself don't want it and don't need it, but blah who cares. Don't buy it. I'm sure there will be PLENTY of happy customers who will. Apple's products aren't more expensive/better just because. They're more expensive/better because Apple researchs to find what the consumers want. Everyone thought the 1G iPod would be a failure, everyone thought the iPod mini would be a failure, everyone's now thinking the color iPod's will be a failure... see where I'm heading? Just because you think you're a super geek and know your computer stuff doesn't mean you know what products are going to make it or not. Can you all just stop saying it isn't a good idea and wait a few months to find out whether or not it is a good idea and will succeed??? Thank you. I'm not trying to offend anyone here I'm just trying to say you don't know everything, but Apple does (j/k) :D

Um...so we should only voice our positive opinions? So then what is the point of an opinion if everyone is saying the same thing? Silly boy, think before you speak...

I think the "photo iPod" would have made a lot of sense if it was possible to directly transfer pictures to it from a digital camera (i.e. without the belkin thingy in the middle), via either a wire or 802.11g. Without this functionality, it leaves me cold (esp. given the added thickness and weight).

I'm going to be buying an iPod mini (or the flash based iPod that's being rumoured) and just wait for the video iPod to come out.

Kap

I think many people might by it anyway just for the fact that it has a color LCD. I don't see much use for putting photos on an iPod...

I'm sure we all know my opinions on the video iPod by now. I don't think it will happen, and Jobs and Rubenstein said that the iPod is the wrong place to do video.

I like the new photo iPod. While it doesn't fit into everyone's needs, it does fill a big gap. kainjow said that not everyone knows what's best for Apple, and I agree -- there were many more negative impressions about the first iPod in the beginning, including price tag and late timing, but we can safely say now that they were pretty much dead wrong. And these were "professionals:" journalists, analysts, computer hardware reviewers, what-have-you. When you look at the success the iPod has generated for Apple, it's hard to believe anyone ever wanted to bash it...

Sure, we hope and wish for new features, but being disappointed with the new iPods is like being disappointed that you got a Toyota Supra instead of a Porsche for Christmas.

I like the new photo iPod -- don't like the new U2 iPod. I like the black, but don't like the red. All black would suit me better.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
While it doesn't fit into everyone's needs, it does fill a big gap.
What's the "big gap"?

I've never heard anyone express a desperate need to display their photos on their iPod (or via a TV screen).

Conveniently storing (and ideally, sharing) photos while you're on the go is where the gap truly lies.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
kainjow said that not everyone knows what's best for Apple, and I agree -- there were many more negative impressions about the first iPod in the beginning, including price tag and late timing, but we can safely say now that they were pretty much dead wrong. And these were "professionals:" journalists, analysts, computer hardware reviewers, what-have-you. When you look at the success the iPod has generated for Apple, it's hard to believe anyone ever wanted to bash it...
I hear what you're saying and I agree with the sentiment. However, everyone knows that Apple has just as often completely blown it by apparently being blind to the market.

A perfect example:
ElDiabloConCaca said:
I like the black, but don't like the red. All black would suit me better.
I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the red.

Kap

I HATE the U2 one, it actually makes me mad to think that apple made it with that stupid band.

I like the Photo one, makes me want one, so M.A. on Apples part

Agree that the red is a little much, and if we want some more positive thoughts, having 60gig is awesome. Still tho, I never said that i disagreed with apple making it, i just stated that i didnt like it, and i was wondering what other ppl thought.

I hate to say it, but U2 may not be the best choice for the demographic Apple should be going for. I mean, the dyed-in-the-wool U2 fans who have stuck with them through the years are in their late 30s, and have to clear a $350 purchase with their spouse or be on dishwashing duty for weeks. Throw in Sting and Bon Jovi for the hat trick to round out the female purchasing power at least...

As for the iPod Photo, I don't especially want one, but I think that it's a major evolutionary step towards the kind of device many of us would like to see down the road...Like a slightly larger, thinner iPod that I could draw on with a stylus in Painter, dictate movie pitches to, fold into my pocket, throw like a frisbee without fear of breakage, or hover quietly above my head while playing my favorite scenes from Tombstone..

I just see the Photo iPod as a evolutionary step toward's a better iPod. Of course the colour screen isn't a neccacary feature, but at least with the addition of a colour screen they added extra functions. How would people feel if the iPod was released with just the colour screen? Would they like it?
Remember people, the whell couldn't have seemed such a great invention on it's own, but look what it lead to! :rolleyes:

Colour iPod? It's too good.

As for colour the only dissapoinment i have is when your accually using it out and about, it would be nice to capture the events, etc. when they accually count. in other words preferebly a camera built in. or mabey an option to buy later.

I think the iPod line-up is awesome. True, I would have liked to seen an iPod Video, but heck this is a great step. I am sure that the next iPods will all have color screens.

Back