iPod Color - Yay or Nay

Is the iPod Photo a good thing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
DanTekGeek said:
i agree with you. if people want to have their photos with them, then they can carry their digital camera with them

How many cameras do you know that have a 40 or 60 GB drive in them?

This device is EXACTLY what I want.

At the moment I have about 1500 pictures on my iPod from my holidays. I haven't even been able to view them yet as my iBook doesn't have enough hard-drive space, and my iMac hasn't arrived yet.

With the iPod Photo I could have been viewing them by now, and showing them off to my family, on their TVs.

I've been going on for ages about how great it would be if you could plug an iPod into a TV to view photos on it, just like I can with my digital camera. Now this is possible.

I told my girlfriend about the new Photo iPod this morning and she instantly said "that is exactly what we need".

I am now thinking about selling my 4th gen iPod and getting a photo one. I may be able to do it without too much loss if I eBay my iPod in the UK (where I live) and get my brother to pick me up a photo one in the US (where he lives) and bring it over at Christmas time.

Things that I think would make this even better:

- A software update to old iPods that allowed them to output photos to a TV. Surely this wouldn't need new hardware, it would just need a different signal to be sent out of the headphone socket.

- A card reader in the Photo iPod dock. I suspect that Apple (and/or others) will bring out smaller alternatives to the Belkin reader soon (I'd been expecting this anyway), and would be rather suprised if we didn't see a dock with built in card reader soon.

- Some way of linking it to a printer.

The iPod is about music so ho needs a colour screen?

Colour screen? Photos? My mobile phone can do that!

Give my a digital camcorder, with still photo function built in to the iPod photo and then just maybe.

Otherwise it's pointless.

Bet they don't sell a single one.

Jimbolgs said:
Colour screen? Photos? My mobile phone can do that!

Your mobile phone can store 40GB of photos??!!! WOW! :eek:

Bet they don't sell a single one.

I bet they sell millions.

I understand that maybe some of you don't take a lot of digital photos, those that do, would be happy to pay the extra £60 for this feature on an iPod.

I want one of these so much it's starting to hurt!!

Well I'm all for it. It looks gorgeous - any idea how long the U2 one is likely to be available? Will it last until chrismas? I would very much like a photo-ipod but I can only stretch to the 20Gb...

First off I have to say that I like these exchanges that occur shortly after Apple release a new product. It’s great to see that people are so interested and passionate about a company and it’s products. With regards to the new photo-iPod and a possible video-iPod, I can see that the debate will rage until Apple makes a decisive move. As a designer and a follower of that profession myself I can see good and bad points with the new iPod similarly as a consumer there are things I take umbrage with and some I like. I still don’t feel the need to see pictures or video on a small screen. The digital camera on my mobile has been used very rarely and usually only when I’m drunk. And I only ever use the screen on my digital camera to review the images before I delete the shocking ones. As far as storage of images goes, isn’t that what the hard-drive aspect of the old iPod was all about, storing files, or have I missed something? Equally so I doubt I’d ever want to watch a piece of film on anything smaller than my 15inch powerbook screen.

I do however like the idea of the iPod acting as a ‘bridge’ between technologies. I’d love to be able to send images or film wirelessly from my computer to my televison and to be able to use my iPod as a remote control for my Mac applications but looking at photos or video on a two inch screen, no thank you. I have my ocular health to think about and I quite like to look out of the window on the train and take in the view.
Anyhow, on with the debate I guess.

Oh and the U2 iPod I dislike intensely.

I don't mind them working with U2. Great band, and any band they'd have chosen has fans and haters. But there are three design choices I wish they'd made differently: 1.) White iPod earbuds? WHITE?!, 2.) red wheel? 3.) Chrome back? It would have been sooooooo nice to have an all-black iPod from hell... ;)

gigapet said:
I still don’t feel the need to see pictures or video on a small screen. The digital camera on my mobile has been used very rarely and usually only when I’m drunk. And I only ever use the screen on my digital camera to review the images before I delete the shocking ones. As far as storage of images goes, isn’t that what the hard-drive aspect of the old iPod was all about, storing files, or have I missed something?

You can take the Photo iPod round to your Grandma's and show her your holiday photos on her TV. All you need to take is your iPod and a cable. For me this would be fantastic.

Also, on holiday, you can transfer your photos to your iPod with the belkin media reader, review some there if you like (but without having to do it immediately to free up space on your memory card), or keep them to review on a bigger screen when you get home. Again, fantastic (though, admittedly, half way there with the old iPod anyway).

It's nothing like picture on your mobile. That IS a pointless feature, and yet still people loved that. This is actually usefull!

Viewing pictures on the screen isn't the biggest benefit as far as I'm concerned, but could be handy, and certainly nice (flicking back through the photo's on my iPod whilst on the coach from Granada to Madrid would have been great).

Showing them off on TV is super ace though!

I can understand people not seeing this as a benefit to them. People who think that nobody would see it as a benefit are just blind!

I am on the fence. I think the photo idea is a good one. To show my photos to people now I either need my laptop or print them all out, which I rarely do. I am worried about the battery no lasting. My new Palm witht color screen battery last's half as long as the black and white screen. The screen size might be too small for photos, I will have to see one before I make a decision.
I like the color scheme of the U2 pod. But I have to admit being a child of the 50's I have never heard a U2 song.

Calliex

This is a step toward a new newton :D

(I dont think the media center thing will happen for a while in appe's coourt)

lnoelstorr said:
Also, on holiday, you can transfer your photos to your iPod with the belkin media reader, review some there if you like (but without having to do it immediately to free up space on your memory card), or keep them to review on a bigger screen when you get home. Again, fantastic (though, admittedly, half way there with the old iPod anyway).

Why not just review them on your camera, (with a larger memory card), and then view them on your computer when you get home?

I agree with you regarding the fact that some people will find the picture viewer useful though.

lnoelstorr said:
Your mobile phone can store 40GB of photos??!!! WOW! :eek:

I bet they sell millions.

I understand that maybe some of you don't take a lot of digital photos, those that do, would be happy to pay the extra £60 for this feature on an iPod.

I want one of these so much it's starting to hurt!!

•••••••••••

No My mobile can only take and store a few low res ones, but my eos300d can take quite a few good ones and I can't plug that into an iPod!

So who are you going to bore to death with 40gigs of photos? - Please, not me.

Face it, it's a white elephant.

If any of my friends, family or colleagues buy one I will tell them they have made a big mistake.

RUBBISH!

Also, copy camera images to ipod through media reader?

Even in the backest of backwater towns and holiday resorts, these days have a photography shop/centre and will no doubt gladly copy your data cards to cd so you can format and snap away some more - for a fraction of the cost of an iPod.

I think the iPod Photo will bring a wealth of accessories from Belkin and other companies, such as faster and better media readers. It would make perfect sense to have faster media readers so you can offload your images from your camera onto your iPod, clear your camera's memory and keep shootin' - no more worrying if your memory card's going to run full. :)

gigapet said:
Why not just review them on your camera, (with a larger memory card), and then view them on your computer when you get home?

Reviewing them on the camera can be a hassle if the card is full there and then, if I could back them up to my iPod, and maybe get rid of the real stinkers back at the hostel later, it makes life a lot easier.

My 0.5GB memory card holds about 200 photos. I have about 1,500 photos on my iPod from my last holiday (waiting for my new iMac to download them to), that would need 7.5GB of storage. That is a BIG memory card.

A lot will probably get trashed, but I'd like to be able to review them on my computer so I can see them in more detail.

Being able to copy photos to my iPod this holiday was invaluable.

Jimbolgs said:
Also, copy camera images to ipod through media reader?

Even in the backest of backwater towns and holiday resorts, these days have a photography shop/centre and will no doubt gladly copy your data cards to cd so you can format and snap away some more - for a fraction of the cost of an iPod.

That would be in no way convenient, every time my memory card runs out I need to serach the town for somewhere to copy them to CD - no thanks!. Plus the costs would add up every time you did it, I did 16 backups to my iPod on holiday (between my girlfiend and me), 16 trips to get a CD made - no thanks!. Plus - I have an iPod anyway to listen to my music, this is an added bonus (and a great big fat bonus at that!).

Also, though I did see a shop offering this in Marrakech, I doubt I would have found one at a village in the atlas mountains. Oh, and these places do have closing times too. If your memory card fills up after 6pm, then what do you do?

OK, it may not be for you, but if you can't see what a huge benefit this would be to some people, then you really do have a fairly narrow view of things.

I would rather of had the color screen and larger harddrive, but no pictures or videos. I dont think i would ever use the pictures part of it. I use iphoto, but it is more of a tool rather than a archiving location. as a photographer i have thousands of pictures in both film and digital form and i still dont think i would use the picture part of it.

Well, then there is good news for you:

You don't have to use the photo part!!!

Though I have no idea why you'd need/want the colour screen otherwise (personally I wouldn't care if it still had a black and white screen, just so long as I could show of my images on the TV from it).

Back