iPod Color - Yay or Nay

Is the iPod Photo a good thing?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
all i have to say is they probably will sell millions even if i dun like it, and how awesome would a new newton be?

I'm not exactly jumping up and down about the photo iPod, but it comes across as very logical next step and something enough people would want and make use of to be worthwhile.

Since I started using a digital still camera (like everyone else alive) I have resorted to hauling my iBook around to family gatherings to do the iPhoto slideshow thing. A photo iPod would be more hassle-free approach, and theoretically could be even more enjoyable watching on a quality TV. It's a little awkward having people crowd around the iBook. Plus, the side viewing angles are terrible.

It's a little pricey, but what else is new? Also, it does seem odd that there isn't digital camera connectivity right out of the gate, given that it is a photo iPod and all. Presumably there will be some third party solutions for that. That, or the current solution of using a card reader isn't too bad.

Misc. comments on previous comments:

1. regarding viewing photos on a TV. Standard TV resolution is so poor, that even low res images will look surprisingly decent. You'd be surprised what you can get away with in SD. Even lower quality/resolution settings on today's digtal cameras will look fantastic on a regular TV and medium/high settings should look superb on any HDTV.

2. While Apple certainly does research product viability with focus groups and other strategies I would imagine, their most conspicuous exception was the original iMac, which was destined to remain on the concept table. Focus groups didn't like it. Marketing reports didn't like it. Profit analysis studies didn't support it. Steve Jobs liked it. He was right. Not that he's always right (Cube), but he's got the best "gut" in the industry.

mindbend said:
It's a little awkward having people crowd around the iBook. Plus, the side viewing angles are terrible.

Though you could just get a TV connection cable for your iBook (assuming it's not a pre white-iBook iBook - and even then it may be possible, I just don't happen to know if it is or not).

1. regarding viewing photos on a TV. Standard TV resolution is so poor, that even low res images will look surprisingly decent. You'd be surprised what you can get away with in SD. Even lower quality/resolution settings on today's digtal cameras will look fantastic on a regular TV and medium/high settings should look superb on any HDTV.

Hmm, that's interesting, I wonder what the output is like from it, I'm assuming it's just a composite connection, so probably not up to much really, but should still be fine. Though it's also made me think as I was going to try and get my brother to get me one in the US (lower prices, fantastic exchange rates, and he'd get an educational discount), but then I guess the US ones might just output a rubbishy NTSC signal, rather than a higher resolution, better coloured, PAL signal (the 60hz benefit of NTSC isn't really relevant for viewing still images). This will mean poorer quality output, and a greater possibility that I might not be able to plug it into someone elses telly. Hmm, I'll have to read up on this. [heads to Apple's website...]

Hm. I miss the ability to transfer images directly from memory cards. The Belkin reader might be an option, but it is to slow. I'd rather have something with a built in card reader, like Nikon Coolwalker (silly name). Unfortunately, the Coolwalker doesn't play music, so buying one would mean I'd have to carry two players: one for music and one for photos...

The screen size on both of these players (iPod and Coolwalker) is a joke. You won't be able to see much detail, so it really only works for extreme close ups. I'll be looking for something similar to Archos AV 400 instead. Pity, the iPod has a better interface and much nicer design, but for my needs and wants, it's lacking in features.

I'm betting that a smaller card reader will come out soon, possibly from Apple. It will be the same width and depth as the Photo iPod and will connect to the doc connector, extending the height of the iPod, but not changing the width or depth, it will also have the same finish as the iPod, and will seemlessly blend in. Cards will the just be able to be slotted into the base of this reader.

I also see no reason why it couldn't transfer photos as quickly as any other card reader can (not iPod card readers, but ones that other devices, or computers, have).

I really would be suprised if this, or something similar, didn't come out.

I'm also expecting a doc with built in card readers to be released.

(on a slightly related note, it would also be nice if these things could do 2 way transfers)

mi5moav said:
Islide ipod wireless slideshow transmitter... When will this product be available.

They are waiting until the iMartini dispenser has been
de-bugged - then they will release them both at the same time.

Along with the socks, then? ;) Ah. I hope they'll also do slips and shirts, so I can go out in Apple underwear. Uh, strike that. ;)

Heh - every 3 hours is an understatement :p

But yeah - I think it's cool they did the whole photo thing (along with color screen), and Im sure I could use it every now and then. But the major thing that sells me is the 15 hours of battery life!

Now considering I'd listen to music with it about 80% of the time, that is awesome compaired to my 2nd Gen. 10 Gig. iPod that I have now, whos battery life lasts about 5 hours max at this point. I'm sold! :D

Ceroc Addict said:
A perfect example:

I don't know what the hell they were thinking with the red.

Kap
I've just seen an actual U2 iPod and I take back what I said about the red - the whole thing is stunning, even moreso than the minis.

(still think all black iPod would have been better, but red is better than the gray clickwheel on the standard iPod).

Kap

fryke said:
Along with the socks, then? ;) Ah. I hope they'll also do slips and shirts, so I can go out in Apple underwear. Uh, strike that. ;)

Apple clothing dont they already have that stuff on differents sites. LOL.

I do want an iPod more than anything in the world, and i cannot wait till i pay off my laptop and get one, lol. I saw it in the Apple Store, the Color Screen is nice, but i cant see spending an extra $100 dollars for it. I'll be happy with the Backlite screen, but this dude has a great add on for it here i'll be happy with my iPod w/o the color screen and just that little add-on so to speak.

Back