Ipod cracked

A few points to clarify:
- "DVD Jon" cracked the Fairplay DRM system well over a year ago. This is fairly old news in some circles.
- Apple introduced Fairplay DRM because they were forced to by the RIAA.
- Other manufacturers of music players refuse to license Apple's Fairplay DRM for their own products. Since most manufacturers (with the notable exception of Sony) have chosen to pay the license fee for the MP3 codec, and yet have refused to pay the same fee for Fairplay, its hard to take their complaints about Apple too seriously.
- There are easier ways around the DRM encryption than cracking it. I strongly recommend burning all your songs to Audio CDs, so they can be re-imported.
- Apple really aren't trying to screw people over with the iTunes store. Yes, the DRM is restrictive; thats just one reason why I just buy CDs instead of using the Music Store. But Apple had no more choice about whether or not to include DRM than a car manufacturer has a choice about including airbags and a catalytic converter. Its a legal requirement.

Perhaps I'm less idealistic than I used to be, but I don't really think Apple is doing anything too bad with their DRM arrangements. And 70% of the media player market seems to agree with me on that. My only real concern is for the people who fail to understand these restrictions and end up short-changing themselves by buying products that won't work together.

I think the success of the iPod and the iTunes store speak for themselves when it comes to DRM.

I think most people that are opponents to DRM are opposing the concept of DRM itself, not Apple's implementation of it (which I believe to be one of the fairest implementations of DRM).

Maybe we should start a thread entitled "How Apple's DRM restrictions really screwed me out of being able to use my media fairly." I'd be interested to see if there are any decent, well-rounded, intelligible posts other than "I boght sum muzic and now it sez 1 cant uuse my muzik on nothing but ipod wtf?? i thot appel wuz the shizz!!11!!"

Back