iPod = Lame

True, that's true -- but my school would provide me with all the software I needed... if not XP, then NT or 2000 or something...

I choose to have my own workstation -- a Mac! and have infinite more possibilities than those drones sitting in the library in front of Windows boxes!

One of the big problems is that tiny Toshiba harddrive it uses. Apparantly, Toshiba is the only manufacturer of that drive right now.

Once that drive starts being used in more devices and is produced in greater volume, the price will come down. It's likely that the price of the iPod will drop too.

Oh, and it's really cool that it draws power off the Firewire port.

Wade

First off, I agree with ElDiabloConCaca. At first glance, the iPod is just another MP3 player, just as an Apple is just another computer. But it is Apple's quality, ease of use, and integration that seperates Apple's computers from Wintels.

The iPod is a seriously speedy and portable 5GB hard drive & a seriously easy to use, speedy, and portable MP3 player. On top of that, it comes with some good lookin' headphones, recharger, and weighs just ounces.

I'm sure, after christmas, the curent version will drop to $349 or $299, and they'll intro a 10 or 20GB version.

What I think is most important is the name. Why would they name a MUSIC device iPod. It doesn't even suggest music. If you ask me, with the updatable firmware, and the simple interface, the iPod will be updated in the future with additional features. It may be an MP3, for now, but it is really the first step to a more feature rich digital device.

Exactly. Apparently the name iPod came from one of Apple's marketing execs -- when the iBook was intro'd, he said something to the effect of, "I want to make a pod," or something like that. Yeah, lame...

So the iBook came along, and "iPod" got shoved onto the shelf.... until now. The only reasoning I can see behind the "iPod" name is like an "extension" of a larger system -- like some sort of space pod coming out of the mothership or something sci-fi and cheezy like that. Like the mobile, scaled-down version of a larger thingamabob.

I think it's unlikely that we'll see an iPod come down to the $300 mark in the next year. I see $349 being the base price for some time, and 10GB or larger versions not coming along for a year or so.

Dig deep, people -- look beyond the surface of the iPod and you'll see MUCH more than just another MP3 player... you'll see the start of Apple's "digital hub" strategy, which looks very promising to me. I see Apple taking all the crappy inventions, like MP3 players, and doing them right. On the surface, we'll see the same old things that have been around a while, only this time they'll be innovative, simple, elegant, and done right.

What "breakthrough" are you guys looking For??!!

A 100 gig wireless mp3 player that makes your breakfast for only eight bucks???!!!!!

If it's not buggy and does all that it says, this is the breakthrough!!

Also, this is the only mp3 player that I've seen so far with firewire.
FIREWIRE! DO YOU UNDERSTAND FIREWIRE!

Back