iPod Nano: A Dream Come True!

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
*gets down on her knees and worships Apple*

Thank you for the new iPod Nano! :D
 

symphonix

Scratch & Sniff Committee
Hehe, we don't ask for much, right? ;-) My information is that the 4GB iPod nano actually uses two flash-memory chips, which pretty much pushes the limit of how much you can cram onto such a small circuitboard. And even then, they're producing them at a slight loss, which they hope to make back in follow-on sales.
 

mdnky

[Bobs/Prog/Design:~] mod%
Staff member
Mod
FINALLY! A white one...I may have to acquire one now...then again...what do I need two for? I'll have to contemplate on that a bit more.

I'd be surprised if the vast majority of people ever use more than 2GB for their entire collection. I think mine (music only) is around 3 to 4GBs right now, and maybe 1/10 of those are songs I listen to on the iPod or in the car. I'm just too lazy to uncheck the ones I never listen to. :D

BTW, if anyone has a newer (2001/2003+) Clarion head-unit in their car, that CeNET iPod controller works pretty nicely. 1000000x better than using the iTrip FM transmitter. 2003 up models have full functionality, 2001-2002 models just won't display ID3 info (title, artist, etc.). I wonder if the Nano will work with this...you'd think it would.
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
It's nice to see others so hyped up about the new iPod Nano. I see I'm not alone. I feel better now. :D

I haven't decided on black or white yet (I like the look of the black and it wouldn't show every speck of grime, but the white one matches my iBook). Decisions, decisions! I *do* know that I'll be purchasing the 2GB, though--200 bucks is all I can afford right now. Besides, it holds 500 songs--that's plenty for me.

Happy iPodding to y'all! :)
 

fryke

Moderator
Staff member
Mod
I guess I'll really have to either opt for the 2 GB or wait for a 6 or 8 GB version. Because I can't really delete 2/3's of my collection, and If I only take part of my collection with me, 2 GB is enough, too, since I won't listen to much more in a week or two, anyway... Hmm... Decisions, decisions... It's clearly white for me, though. Only a white iPod is a real iPod. ;)
 

fjdouse

UNIX - Live Free or Die
Ok, I'm ignorant, where is this 'nano' thing? I can't find it on Apple's site.
 

Gig'

Listen2BobMarley
Amie : dont' want to break your enthusiasm, I enjoy people being enthusiastic, remember this thread ? : http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241533

For 200 bucks you might be able to to get an iPod mini 4Gb or even 6Gb thru clearance sale, unless you need the colour screen, I wish they'd put it on the mini ..., and a smaller/lighter player, it looks like an expensive gadget to me :)
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
fryke said:
I guess I'll really have to either opt for the 2 GB or wait for a 6 or 8 GB version. Because I can't really delete 2/3's of my collection, and If I only take part of my collection with me, 2 GB is enough, too, since I won't listen to much more in a week or two, anyway... Hmm... Decisions, decisions... It's clearly white for me, though. Only a white iPod is a real iPod. ;)
LOL

Now, why is "white the only real iPod," hmm?
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Gig' said:
Amie : dont' want to break your enthusiasm, I enjoy people being enthusiastic, remember this thread ? : http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241533

For 200 bucks you might be able to to get an iPod mini 4Gb or even 6Gb thru clearance sale, unless you need the colour screen, I wish they'd put it on the mini ..., and a smaller/lighter player, it looks like an expensive gadget to me :)
Huh? Nooo ... I don't *want* an iPod Mini. For several reasons:
1) It's bigger than the Nano.
2) It weighs more than the Nano.
3) It's too heavy and globby to wear around your neck.
4) I'm going to use mine mostly for working out (yeah, I'm a computer geek AND a musclehead, so sue me), and the Nano would definitely suit my needs better than the Mini.

Nano, here I come!...
 

fryke

Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Amie said:
LOL

Now, why is "white the only real iPod," hmm?
The original was white. My 2G iPod 10GB is white, my 4G iPod 40 GB is white. And the black, while certainly nicely done, doesn't yell "iPod!" at the people who see me fiddling with it. I like black! But not for my iPods.
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
fryke said:
The original was white. My 2G iPod 10GB is white, my 4G iPod 40 GB is white. And the black, while certainly nicely done, doesn't yell "iPod!" at the people who see me fiddling with it. I like black! But not for my iPods.
Good points. I might go for the white as well. But not because I'm a meticulously anal freak and it matches my iBook. ;)
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
fryke said:
Your love for bad words kinda bothers me.
Bad word? Where? I didn't use profanity.
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Hey, Fryke, you're a moderator on this forum? I just noticed your sig. And I have to say: You're one of the coolest mods here. You know how to get the job done and are not afraid to have a little fun while you're at it.
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Hi, Fryke:

Got your PM but couldn't reply there (had issues when clicking on Reply). Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I did, in fact, receive it, and you're very welcome. :)

Kindest regards,
Amie
 

Lt Major Burns

"Dicky" Charlteston-Burns
mdnky said:
I'd be surprised if the vast majority of people ever use more than 2GB for their entire collection. I think mine (music only) is around 3 to 4GBs right now, and maybe 1/10 of those are songs I listen to on the iPod or in the car. I'm just too lazy to uncheck the ones I never listen to. :D
my itunes library (which is well culled to what i like) is currently standing at 63gb. apple don't make an ipod for me.
 

thendis

Registered
63 GB! And here I was bragging to everyone about my 10GB collection!

I'm not sure that replacing the mini alltogether was the best idea, especially when the Nano doesnt have the colour options that the mini does. I think that was one of the biggest selling points. I personally prefer the white iPods, but a lot of people - especially young kids - love the colour thing.

My little cousin saved up for an iPod Photo, but ended up going with the iPod mini when she found out iPods don't come in pink.

I know they have those Nano tubes, but it's not the same.
 

Amie

Mac Convert for Life
Lt Major Burns said:
my itunes library (which is well culled to what i like) is currently standing at 63gb. apple don't make an ipod for me.
Sure they do. Here's the deal: There isn't going to be any one point in a lifetime where ANYone is going to listen to ALL their songs in their iTunes library ALL right in a row, ALL in one sitting. So: All you need to do is download whatever your iPod will hold, listen to those songs for a few days, weeks, months, whatever ... then delete those songs from your iPod and add new songs. Simple!

Can't wait to get my iPod Nano! Come next month, it's mah birfday. Parents asked me what I wanted. "Why, a gift card to the Apple store, of course!" :D
 
Top