iPod Nano resets itself (3rd generation)

Every time I connect my 3rd generation iPod Nano to my iMac G5 when it's battery is completely dead, it resets itself every time it starts to be detected by iTunes.

Then iTunes states it cannot read the data on "iPod" (doesn't show the iPod's name) and OS X of course shows the Device Removal message.

If I let it go it will repeat this resetting cycle about 5-6 times before finally staying on and working properly.

The only other USB devices plugged in are the mighty mouse, keyboard, and a Logitech USB headset. Unplugging the headset makes no difference.

I am not sure if it does this when plugged in with a halfway charged battery, for example.

Any ideas?

- It has the latest iPod Software on it.

try rebooting the iPod. (action+menu) then while its booting hold (action + Play) then plug it in to your mac and restore. if not. the battery is dead. you will need a new one.

Have you tried a charger?

I've tried putting it into disk mode and restoring it, but it still wasn't detected.

And no, I don't have a charger since Apple thought it would be a good idea to not ship them with chargers.

I doubt that you need to replace your battery already.
But, an iPod with a completely dead battery may not start responding properly until you have charged for a few minutes.
From http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61127
If the battery is fully discharged in an iPod nano, Fifth Generation iPod, or iPod mini (Second Generation), the charge icon won't animate and you may have to wait up to ten minutes before your computer will recognize it.
With the way you use your iPod, you should purchase an external charger to avoid this situation (of allowing the battery completely discharge)

I've tried putting it into disk mode and restoring it, but it still wasn't detected.

And no, I don't have a charger since Apple thought it would be a good idea to not ship them with chargers.
You dont have a dock. anything like that?
Borrow one from your friend? perhaps? I think chargers are the best.
Who realy has a spare USB to charge their iPod up in?

Back