iPod nano

kainjow

Registered
From MacWorld:
After summarizing the existing iPod product line, Jobs explained that the iPod mini is what all of Apple's competitors are aiming for. Apple is "going to do something pretty bold," he said. Apple is "replacing it with something new."

Jobs calls the iPod nano "an entirely new ground-up design, that also has 1000 songs in your pocket." The white device features a color display and can support photos, uses a grey click wheel to navigate, and is 80 percent smaller in volume than the original iPod -- thinner than a number two pencil, said Jobs. The iPod nano weighs 1.5 ounces or 42 grams

Compared to the iPod mini, the iPod nano is half the thickness and 62 percent smaller by volume. It uses a 30-pin dock connector, so the iPod nano plugs in to existing iPod accessories, and can also connect using USB 2.0. It features a 14-hour rechargeable abattery.

The iPod nano also features a new graphical clock, games, stopwatch and lap timer, and a screen lock that uses the click wheel like a combination lock.

"White is our signature color for the iPod ... but we decided to so a second color, and we tried it because it looked so cool," said Jobs, "so we're doing a black model as well."

The iPod nano ships today in 2GB and 4GB confiugurations for US$199 and $249 respectively. Apple is also offering customized iPod nano accessories including a $29 dock, $39 lanyard with built-in headphones, color-coordinated armbands for $29 each, and "nanotubes" -- green, purple, blue and pink slipcases, sold in boxes of five, for $29 each.
Photo

So I guess Kevin Rose was right all along... :rolleyes:

can't wait to see it for real

funny name though sounds like dwarf in Italian :p

The store is back up now for a proper look.

Aren't those price points the same as the mini? Same price, but less storage.

I told that the main advantage of changing the HD for Flash on the mini will give the possibility to reduce its size and weight !

Here it is !

Charge time is less then any other iPod: 3 hours

It also only mentions USB for connectivity - have they dropped full support for FireWire in this model?

Battery life doesn't look to be any better. Only 14 hours, compared to 15 for the normal iPods, and 12 for the shuffle.

It weights only 2x more then a shuffle - impressive

I have to admit, its a very pretty item, but i have a concern. I was talking to a comp sci friend of mine, and he said that the disadvantage of flash drives was that they had a limited number of write cycles per unit, so wouldn't last as long as hd based solutions. Anyone else know about this?

I'm also amazed that these have replaced the mini, here in switzerland, non-apple stores nearby have only just got the 6gb mini in (which i have been very tempted by). Seems a quick product lifecycle, but they did say they were "doing something pretty bold"...

kainjow said:

It also only mentions USB for connectivity - have they dropped full support for FireWire in this model?

AFAIK usb 2.0 more common with wintel inside I...t outside crowd so make sense commercially to have a connection that is as widespread as possible

Well, it uses the dock connector, and all other iPods up until now that used the dock connector supported both USB 2 and FW cables, so I'm just wondering if the nano will support FireWire cables or not... I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

ora said:
I have to admit, its a very pretty item, but i have a concern. I was talking to a comp sci friend of mine, and he said that the disadvantage of flash drives was that they had a limited number of write cycles per unit, so wouldn't last as long as hd based solutions. Anyone else know about this?

I'm also amazed that these have replaced the mini, here in switzerland, non-apple stores nearby have only just got the 6gb mini in (which i have been very tempted by). Seems a quick product lifecycle, but they did say they were "doing something pretty bold"...

Most Flash devices are rated 100'000 write/erase cycles. That's a lot of changes !!! If you load your iPod 10 times per day, it has a duration of 30 years. No bad.

Cheers chevy, thats good news, i guess my friend must have been wrong, or out of date at least.

Well, I might get one. Although I must say it means "pay more for less space". It seems like Apple's on a roll here. First they drop the 30 GB model and introduce a 20 GB model for the iPod photo (next they'll drop the 60 GB for a 40? ...), now they drop the 6 GB model for a 2 GB one or something like that. It seems to me they're walking in circles or even worse: Innovating their way back down. Sure: It's small, sexy, everything. But 4 GB tops means I've gotta get rid of 2/3's of my music collection. :/

If the nano has all the features of the iPod photos, then the photos' only feature now is size and video out, correct? So there's got to be some newer iPods coming at the Apple Expo in Paris.....

No syncing with Firewire :(

I don't see why not. They have cables with a dock connector that splits to USB 2.0 and Firewire, so why only support syncing on USB???

That's dumb.

I had not noticed that. The iPod nano connects by USB, and not Firewire. I guess they had to keep the size down.

I don't like how the earphone jack is at the bottom...

Anyway, I think I'll stick with my mini for now. If I wanted a new iPod, I'd get more space, not less.

Porce said:
I don't like how the earphone jack is at the bottom...

Anyway, I think I'll stick with my mini for now. If I wanted a new iPod, I'd get more space, not less.

i'd rather spend the $249 on a 6 GB Mini w/ a Color Screen, when the Original Mini came out all the other music players came out with a 5 GB Mini model at the same price to compete, and now with only a 2 and 4 GB Nano to compete with the the Mini's competition, granted the size is thin and everything but that's the only thing it's got.

Back