Ipod problem.

gigapet

Registered
Occasionally, when I connect my ipod, I'm presented with a spinning disk & spyglass icon. I'm led to believe that this is a normal thing to happen but how long should it take? It seems to run for over an hour without any progress. Also I sometimes get a disk and exclamation mark icon. Is this anything to do with the fact that my ipod sometimes freezes during playback. I've already had the damned thing replaced once because of a faulty battery, this, coupled with my recent imac grief, is starting to make my faith in apple falter.
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Sounds a lot like what happened to my friend's iPod when the hard drive went bad. The Apple rep told him that they had a bad bunch of 10gb ones for sure. I don't know what you have, but I've heard of quite a few people who had the hard drives go bad on the 10gb versions.

-Juxel

Mines a pretty early 5 gig model. I'm loath to contact apple again as It's no longer in waranty. I think I'm gonna have to though...

It could be the directory structure is getting screwed up. Have you tried checking it? If you have all the files on your main HD you might try initializing it. I had to do that once. I put some large files on it for back up. After deleting them the free space was not recovered. I wiped the disk and resync'd. Since then I've had no problems.

The spinning HD icon with spyglass means that it's checking the hard drive. A HD + "!" icon means your disk is damaged and likely needs to be replaced.

How is it that you only get the spyglass checking some of the time, and sometimes you can play back songs?

I had this happen to my 5GB after it received a HEFTY static discharge through the headphone port (hurt my head too :p). I had it replaced (under warranty) in 2 days. The HD was completely dead, but it gave me the HD + "!" icon after about 3 seconds...

An idea:
Did you try restarting your iPod (holding Play/Pause & Menu for a few seconds?) If that doesn't help, plug it in to your computer and restart your iPod, then as soon as you see the Apple logo press Back & Next at the same time. This will force the iPod into firewire disk mode and you can scan it with Drive10 or NDD or whatever you like from your computer. Failing that, check the Apple KnowledgeBase, then call Apple.

I don't think it is. I bought it in Jan 2002 but it was replaced by Apple late 2002 because of a faulty battery. I seem to remember them giving me a 90 day warranty and I reckon it's been more than that.

Back