iPod Remote too big?

Convert

Tech
Hey, I was looking at the iPod Remote (should be getting my iPod Photo by the end of the week!) and I noticed that it... is huge. Really, I think it's too big.

It goes out too far from the cable. What does everyone think?

Were you looking at the remote in person, or on the web?

I've got a buddy at school that has a remote, and I don't think it's that big -- at least for me. I would guess it's about half the size of the iPod shuffle -- give or take. He keeps his iPod in his backpack on his back, and the remote cord is long enough to wrap around to his frontside so he can keep control of the music...

As far as I know, the iPod remote is still a "1st generation" device -- I don't think they've ever updated it since it first came out... I think it'd be possible now to make it much smaller, but smaller doesn't necessarily mean better: the layout of the remote is such that it can be operated by touch, and once you make a remote so small, any smaller and it may be difficult to use easily.

I've got mine when I bought the 10 GB 2G iPod back then. Used it once, maybe, then let it stay at home. The iPod itself is my remote control. ;)

how would you make it smaller? if it still has a clip to hold it somewhere on your clothes.

Well, Sony makes smaller ones that look basically just like a thickening of the headphone wire... But I see people use them and they can't use them blindly, so it's not really what I'd call the Apple way... Apple's remote is small enough, and once you know where the buttons are located, it's easy enough to handle. However, Steve would say: Just use the "shuffle" feature.

I'm using my remote all the time. The size is perfect. I clip on the edge of my pocket and can use it blindly. The buttons are made so that you can feel which button is which once you get used to it. It's great

Back