iPod Sales: Reg and mini.

drustar

Gold Member
Does anyone have a screenshot of what % Apple has in the portable mp3-player industry? I am discussing w/ a friend of mine to not go "Go Dell." (More like Go to Hell). I'm just just curious.

(Can't wait to get my iPod mini!) Also can't wait to see how the sales did on top of the pre-order sales.

it was a bit over 25% just before christmas, but since it sold so well during the holidays many think it is closer to 30% now.

I'm sure your friend already knows that the iPod will work with a Dell, but still... hehe... if he's already considering an iPod, why not entice him to get a Mac as well? ;)

Some numbers I'd like to see is the percentage of iPod owners that have PCs vs. the percentage iPod owners that have Macs... THAT would be interesting and would really show which platform the iPod is selling well for.

iPod mini just came into stores this weekend. there have been over 100'000 pre-orders, but other than that, numbers are, of course, not yet available. much too early to compare iPod to iPod mini sales...

however, in order to convince your buddy to buy an iPod, there are a few simple steps you should do...

1.) let him _use_ one. touch one. when you get your iPod mini, go to him and install it on HIS machine to show him how well it works. he'll love iTunes, anyway!

2.) get some numbers by searching the 'net for 'ipod market share' and 'itunes market share'. there have been a lot of articles about it around the web lately.

3.) do NOT try to tell him that dell is bad. it's a) not worth it and does b) not help if he likes dell. imagine someone telling you how bad apple is and what your reaction would be. sure, it's not the same, but the basic patterns still apply.

4.) do question him about what's most important to him in a digital music player. the iPod is king in most areas, anyway. also make sure that he gets the fact that the iPod, while a bit more expensive, also GIVES a lot more. more luxury, more ease-of-use, more durability (there's some thread to be found on macosx.com about someone who let his iPod drop out of a running car accidentally - the iPod survived...).

5.) make sure he gets the fact that apple improves the software of the iPods on an almost regular basis. you don't have to tell him that first generation iPods aren't able to use much of the later enhancements, but you can tell how apple has added support for iSync and stuff and that you can use the iPod as your address book, newsreader etc. if you want to. not that most people really _use_ it that way. then come back to its basic functionality, which just rocks. show him again and again, how easy it is to synch, that it always works etc. pc people tend to know bad things about synching. (well, so do palm users, but hey...) ;-)

Forget all that stuff. Just let him borrow it at the gym for 30 minutes so he can see how many ooohs and aahs he gets from chicks just fresh from a pilates class who eye the mini. :D

with the ipod mini, i guess the ipod is king in all areas apart from the REALLY REALLY CHEAP FACTOR (but im not interested in that).

if u want an audio player with big disk space , the ipod 40gb is the one. small in space and light in weight, and very large disk drive. its perfect. (but expensive)

if u want a really small and light audio player with a capacity big enough to carry a good number of songs the iPod mini is perfect. i have around 20 gb of music only on my current disk, but my 10 gb ipod is never more that 6 gb full.!!! and for me its really not that expensive. and the price will eventually go down!

and third and most important id like to mention the quality of the ipod.
my ipod has fallen down more than once(around 4-5 times, off the treadmill at the gym, from my jacket etc.) Impact was very very strong. and the damn thing didnt even stop playin; i picked it up and it kept on going. now THATS amazing. i am sure ANY other device would have surely broken down!!!

i surely agree with steve. most ipod owners will buy an ipod mini. i could surely need it at the gym :) make my life easier!

IPOD IS KING!

Back