iPod Software 2.0 info... from Apple

I wrote apple yesterday and complained. If there is a real reason why some features won't work on my iPod then i wish they'd come right out and tell me why.

To me it's just software. Just like a G3 can run os 10 the same as a G4. Sure the G4 may perform better but the G3 can still run all my apps and the OS just fine.

Really depends on whether the (quite simple) chipset of the earlier iPods can handle the same software the new ones can...

You are very right. AAC decoding is the hardest part of the new OS, becasue it is harder to decode and takes more processor power, but the rest can be done very easy. It is a shame, and very Microsoft like.

Matthew

Yeah, I was by no means trying to drag everyone down with this one. Just found some info that I thought others here would like to know about, as this has been debated since the new Pods were announced.

I myself am hoping for the best. But I'm not holding my breath, either.

Guess I'll be taking advantage of my CompUSA TAP sooner than I expected ;)

i read somewhere, and don't quote me on this, that there may be a 2.0 release further down the road for the older iPods... once again, i don't remember where i saw this tidbit, but they said apple may have gotten behind on the new software, and put out a 1.3 release for now.... and plan on updating the older ones in the summer.

now let me go look and try to find that article.

Maybe. But now that I have an "answer" from Apple, I won't be so disapointed. I can play AAC, so that does for now. ;D

Could anyone who bought one of the new iPods and has the 2.0 SW disc that comes with it be kind enough to msg me on this post, and then maybe email me the new firmware?

I have the new one but I left the box/disc in another location and now I have to update it ASAP. It got corrupted somehow and the only way for me to restore is that disc.

Apple hasn't posted it, probably for fear that people with old iPods will try using it maybe...i dunno.

Thanks,

Hmm, Apple's right, the new 2.0 software on the new iPods won't work on the older ones. At least, it didn't work on my 1st gen 5 gig one. The old iPod wouldn't even attempt to work. Screen didn't even come on with the Apple logo. Luckily, I backed up the old software first. :D

And man, the solitaire sucks, I don't know why you guys are complaining about not having it. If I could, I'd uninstall it. The Parachute game is dumb, too.

for me "On the Go" and "Rating" is the most important. I really don't need games, music is enough entertaining for me.

On the Go isn't all that either - you can customize your own playlist while you're listening to it, but you lose the entire contents of the On the Go playlist whenever you update the iPod with iTunes. You have to recreate it every time you do that. After I found that out, I stopped using it.

Its hard to make something that is oh so good even better...there isn't that big a change (software wise) from the old iPods and the new ones...aside from some games and a playlist editor...personally, Im happy with my older iPod...it does it's job (and well at that) and thats fine with me.

Yeah, I'd have kept my old iPod around longer if I hadn't started running out of space on it. There's not much difference to me between the two. I like the remote, that's cool...but that's about the only difference.

Well, no, I like the fact that the new iPod keeps track of the play count and will update it in iTunes. Since I mostly listen to the iPod and not iTunes, lots of my tracks had low or no play count. So that's a plus too.

I heard there are some guys that have a linux varient running on the iPod. However, if a new iPod OS was made, if it were very customizable, I'd go for it!

Back