iPod Store at Apple

diablojota

Doctoral Student
I am surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but I was checking out the new iPods at the Apple website, and now have seen a seperate Apple Store for iPods. I thought that this was an interesting move. It makes sense since iPod sales outstrip Mac sales, but also raises some questions. What are your opinions on this?
As I said, I think it makes sense, but is Apple going to further spin off the iPod business and focus more on those products? Obviously the Mac division is still getting attention, but as of late all marketing and other ad campaigns I have seen are targeted at the iPods... Will we see other non-Mac products coming from Apple?

I think the new mini Apple stores kind of go along with this thinking -- those mini stores focus on the "portability" aspect of certain Apple hardware, like the iBook, PowerBook and iPod: kind of like a brick-and-mortar version of the online iPod store.

Well do you blame them for making a section for the iPod? they are selling 10 different versions (5 different colors of iPod Minis, 2 iPod Photos (40/60), 2 regular iPods (20/40) and a special edition iPod.....)

No, I don't blame them. I even said it makes sense... However, that's the thing. They have an ever increasing amount of diversity with their iPod line-up, which will no doubt expand. And this is for a device that plays music.
Computers...you can really put together a lot more configs for. How about a headless eMac? Or how about upgraded eMacs with a wee bit more choices? They are finally beginning to extend the lines, but there are some other gaps that apple could no doubt fill with the same idea as they are doing with the iPod.

Well, my feeling is that the iPod line will start to solidify after the frenzy of purchasing anticipated during the Holiday Season. Apple will try to cut prices on older, 'greyscale' iPods with smaller HD space after the holidays to thin the herd, and focus on a bit of diversification within their stranglehold on the MP3 player marketshare:

1. Minis - which are here to stay, at least for now. They fit too many
peoples' needs to even dicsuss their viability anymore.

2. iPods - which will probably continue to get more PDA features, bigger HDs, and the color display.

3. iPod Photo - which most of us hope will one day include video playback.

each market segment will have a few versions, probably about 3...

I think the next lineup will be:

Mini's: 6gb greyscale
iPod: 40 and 60gb color screen, no video out, no photos
iPod Photo: 80gb. Maybe an extra feature to make it worth the premium.

Back