iPod to computer transfer

Ragel

Registered
I connect my iPod to my computer at home and my computer at work. However, if I have a different playlist at home and I put it on my iPod, I cannot transfer those songs to iTunes at work. All I can do is delete them.

Is this Apple's way of trying to keep sharing down? Is there some way around it? I know that I can put the songs on iPod as an external hard drive, but it's a pain. I just want to share between computers in iTunes!

Ragel said:
Is this Apple's way of trying to keep sharing down?

Yes; Apple very intentionally does not allow you to transfer music FROM an iPod TO a computer. It is indeed a way to slow down piracy.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60920#faq5

Is there some way around it?

Yes, you will probably soon be deluged with links to hacks that get around it.

On another note, I think you can authorize up to three copies of iTunes to download & play songs that you purchase from the iTunes Music Store, so there's another option.

No posting of links for illegal hacks. They'll be remove and you can be banned.

im not sure if this an "illegal hack" but you can open up your ipod in the terminal and find the .mp3 files and cp them to your machine, its quite easy actually

Well, this is the way I've done it.

Download Tinkertool. This will allow you to view hidden files. Once you've done that, you can navigate through the iPod within Finder to the music. It's actually kind of weird and freaky to see how the iPod stores the music.

Hope that helps you (and that you're using a mac, you never said).

yeah it is in through the terminal too, you have to go through iPod_Control/Music/F12 or what ever number i have up to F19, it seems kinda silly to me, but they may have a reason for the strange file structure

Check macupdate. Plenty of apps out there (podmanager and podutil are good). I checked them just a few days ago to back up my iPod songs to my external hard drive so I don't have more than 15 gig of songs eating up space on my hard drive as well.

For the original poster, it's smarter to keep the music on the iPod and play it off iTunes for both computers. Unless you are involved in piracy, which would be uncool (and illegal).

I did not know Tinkertool would do it. Gotta try that. :)

I once had iPod not viewable, not seen by computer. The musics were for some reason partly gone - I copied ALLL musics and contents manually from terminal, and dragged them later back to iPod, this time it saw them.

Back