Ipod touch direct IM programs and itunes tax

ziomatrixacs

Registered
I thought Id knock two birds out with one stone. First.. I got a nice shiny ipod touch for xmas with a speck case. My friend did too. Now, are there any programs that would act like an instant messenger except not need the internet? We would both like to be able to send text/IM messages to eachother with out the need for internet. I have plenty of IM clients like AIM but I want something that can "talk" to other ipod touches directly..

Next thing is, whatsup with itunes store charging tax all the sudden? I know its not itunes, its probably my state Govt charging me through some greedy law, but still. I bought an app and it charged me 8% where the tax in my area is about 6.5% If they are going to charge you tax, at least do it right! But thats not my complaint. My complaint is having to pay tax twice! I have to pay tax for buying the card at a store, then again when I buy an app or music or something..

Id LOVE to be able to get ipod touch apps from somewhere that is not the app store..

Unless it's a 2G iPod touch, then jailbreaking is a no-go so far. About the IM/text message thing: If not through the internet - how else do you suppose such a message would "fly"? The iPod touch has only got WiFi as network protocol, and basically that means it's got to have an IP address in order to work. There's no local messaging software for the iPod touch/iPhone so far AFAIK.

yeah, its a 2G. I dont want to jail break it. I am still working on the xcode thing, dont you have to buy a special dev. kit for the iphone to do apps?

Hmm.. I believe on the nintindo DS with wifi, its possible to "chat" without internet. I wonder if there is a crude way of doing, by sending text files back and forth but Im really not sure how that would work.

I still don't get it: You do have a wireless access point to which you have access to, but it's not connected to the internet?

No, I mean I want to have two ipod touchs be able to send IM or messages between each other with out the need for an internet connection. Sort of like those old walkie talkies but using text instead of voice. When I say text, I mean like a plain text format, not SMS cell phone style messages. I thought since the ipod could connect to the internet, it should be able to connect to another ipod and send messages.

I don't think the iPod touch allows you to connect to another iPod touch or iPhone directly without an access point. So you won't be able to use it that way. And as soon as you've got an access point, you usually have internet as well, so you could use internet instant messaging anyway.

Yep, fryke's right. Not possible -- at least not yet. It is completely feasible that an application can be developed to do what you're describing... but an application like that does not exist (yet).

Keep checking the App Store, and one day, something like that may turn up. As of now, though, it's a no-go.

Sort of like those old walkie talkies but using text instead of voice. When I say text, I mean like a plain text format, not SMS cell phone style messages.
What you've basically described is email -- as a workaround until an app like that is developed, what's stopping you and your friend from signing up for two gmail accounts, then sending emails back and forth? If you're connected to a wireless access point, then chances are you have an internet connection.

Hmm, I need them to connect to each other. Ill just have to keep my eyes peeled. Id like to be able to IM my friend if they are in the same building with no internet or open networks..

I remember a device called the Zipit Wireless Z2 that did ad-hoc IM and such by connecting with other Z2s through a mesh. I'm not sure the iPod touch or the iPhone have the ability to do this right off the bat.

EDIT: My mistake, this also needs a wifi connection to work.

Yep, fryke's right. Not possible -- at least not yet. It is completely feasible that an application can be developed to do what you're describing... but an application like that does not exist (yet).

Keep checking the App Store, and one day, something like that may turn up. As of now, though, it's a no-go.

What you've basically described is email -- as a workaround until an app like that is developed, what's stopping you and your friend from signing up for two gmail accounts, then sending emails back and forth? If you're connected to a wireless access point, then chances are you have an internet connection.

Well, we do have email accounts and send emails but it requires us to be connected to the internet. Im trying to do this with out the internet. Say if one were in the desert or some where with no internet at all..they could still connect the two ipods and send plain text messages.

I don't think an app has the ability to add ad-hoc WiFi network capability to the iPod touch/iPhone system. So: Don't keep your eyes peeled, it's just not in the cards unless Apple adds ad-hoc network capability to the system.

Back