iPod Touch questions from a new owner.

twister

Howdy
I just got an iPod Touch (16 gig) for Christmas and it's so nice. However, I do have a few questions that should be easy to answer.
  1. Can I use any dock connector cable to charge it? Like my old iPod cable?
  2. What's the best way to keep the screen clean?
  3. If I download games from iTunes, I can mange them just like movies; adding and removing at any time?
  4. What's the best case? I know that's a broad question, but I thought I'd ask.
  5. Any tips I should know about?

I think I know the answers to some of them, but I wanted to double check.

Thanks
TwisterMc

Hi. I've just got mine too. Here are some answers I have found out...

1. Yes. The dock--USB cable I got with my 1G Nano works fine.
2. Not sure, but the screen comes up as good as new with a lint-free cloth, like one you might use to clean glasses (spectacles), or a Macbook screen, gently applied.
3. Don't know. Sorry. Would imagine so.
4. Sorry, also don't know. I'd like to know this too.
5. Erm...
http://www.grapier.com/maps.html is quite cool. As is
http://iphone.coium.com/

Looking forward to Apps coming in from the SDK release in February!

Andy

Be aware that some games downloaded from iTunes are only compatible with the old-style pods (iPod Classic, iPod nano, etc.).

The "best" case is the case that you deem "best." Each have their pros and cons, so it all depends on what you're looking for in a case. What features do you specifically want?

Actually, the best case for my previous iPod was the original iPod case (you know, back when they came with a case). It doesn't work so well with the iPod Touch though as it's sooo thin. :)

a. apparently any Dock connector cable will work. I have my old 3G Firewire cable and charger at work and it works fine.
b. Get a good quality screen protector film and you can pretty much use your shirt or other cloth to wipe off greasy fingerprints without any trouble. The screen protector also adds some friction to the surface and makes the Touch feel a bit nicer, IMO.
c. no comment
d. I have a Griffin iClear case and it works great; I'm also considering getting the Otterbox Defender although waiting to hear more feedback from actual users.
e. if you've jailbroken your iPod Touch, you can use configure Gmail for the Mail application.

Cheers.

1. Can I use any dock connector cable to charge it? Like my old iPod cable?
  2. What's the best way to keep the screen clean?
  3. If I download games from iTunes, I can mange them just like movies; adding and removing at any time?
  4. What's the best case? I know that's a broad question, but I thought I'd ask.
  5. Any tips I should know about?

Games for the iPod, just to make this clear between comments, don't run on the iPod touch. Those games have been created for the 5G iPod and later adapted for the 6G iPod and the 3G iPod nano. The iPod touch currently only has access to web-app games officially. Jailbreaking* the touch gives it more games, the opening via Apple's SDK will give it even more, I'm sure.

*If your iPod touch originally came with v1.1.2 and can't be downgraded to v1.1.1, jailbreaking is a no-go, currently, AFAIK.

*If your iPod touch originally came with v1.1.2 and can't be downgraded to v1.1.1, jailbreaking is a no-go, currently, AFAIK.

- To downgrade, download the 1.1.1 firmware from Apple.
- Plug the iPod in and open iTunes. This process will erase all the contents of the iPod, so make sure all the content is backed up on the computer. You will also need a useful WiFi connection for your iPod.
- Hold down the power button at the top of the iPod while also holding the Home button. After about 10 seconds, release the power, but keep the Home pressed. If done correctly, iTunes will tell you that the iPod has entered “recover mode”.
- Option-click the Restore button. (Shift-click on Windows)
- Browse for the firmware that you just downloaded. Find it and restore. This will take a few minutes.
- When it’s done, your iPod will be in factory condition, running 1.1.1. Connect to Wi-Fi and launch Safari. Open the site http://www.jailbreakme.com and allow it to do its thing. The hack should run, and when its done, you’ll have Installer.app on the desktop.

'Borrowed' from http://www.crunchgear.com.....

There is a method available to then upgrade to 1.1.2 and subsequently jailbreak that firmware, but I couldn't persuade it to work, sadly. I have 1.1.1 jailbroken working great, make the already-very-good iPod Touch excellent.

Andy

Last edited:
Oh, I know, but this does *NOT* work if the iPod touch is v1.1.2 out of the box, because then it doesn't allow v1.1.1 to be installed. That's what I meant.

Back